Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Oly Arms Glock Mag 9mm Ar

TRG65

When I posted a couple of months ago in the Classifieds that I was looking for one of these rifles I didn't get anyone wanting to sell but I did get some requests for feedback after I got one.

It took about month to track one down. I got it from J&S Gun Parts in Washington. The back order on these is awful. Oly is running about 6 months behind demand. I talked to Oly to find out who might have recently gotten shipments as well as having 2 dealers call to try to place an order. Story is the LE agencies are grabbing up production to have a carbine compatable with the issue handgun. Oly is producing both 9mm and 40 SW versions so this makes good sense.

I got a complete rifle 16" threaded barrel with an A2 flashhider on a flattop upper. I ended up paying 850 and 20 to have it shipped to my FFL. I mounted a trijicon reflex with the 12.5MOA triangle, installed a JP trigger kit, and put an ergo rubber pistol grip on. I got to shoot it last weekend with my wife and 2 friends. It ran just fine using the same load I shoot in my USPSA production guns, 3.3 grs VV320, and a 147 zero JHP. In fact it was kicking brass out about 20 feet so we quickly began using my brass catcher, to make recovery easier. Neither myself or the other guy had any problems, however my wife and the other girl both had the same problem I think 3 times total out of about 100 rounds. A spent case would eject, and the next would be picked up and chambered, but the bolt would not fully engage and remained very slightly out of battery. If the mag was dropped and the bolt pulled back just slightly and let go it would engage and fire. The buffer spring just seemed to be running out of steam. Neither shooter who encountered this problem was leaning into the rifle, both were back on their heals (familiarity issue). I zero'ed the rifle at about 25 yard and it would cluster 3 rounds, actually I was expecting much worse accuracy and was very pleasantly suprised. On the recoil and noise front, the first round I shot my wife said it was so quite she thought for sure it was a dud/primer only. The other guy who shot it said it seemed recoiled more like a pop gun than a rifle. This was in comparison to a 223 AR with a MSTN QC brake. The very last test I tried was a 25 rounds as quick as I was comfortable from 25 yards. Only 2 were outside the -0 circle of the IDPA target I was using.

There are only two things I would change about the rifle at this point. First, I would like to get a heavier buffer spring. The brass really doesn't need to go as far as it does, and that might help overcome the issue the girls were having. Second, I would like to find a pressure activated flashlight Surefire'ish that attaches to a non-railed handguard.

Suggestions on my points to improve would be appreciated.

Seth

A heavy buffer will last indefinitely where a heavy spring will wear out. get the hahn precision .45ACP buffer, it is 8.5oz...hahn made them to tame the recoil of the .45 so it won't damage the lower. It will also work in a 9mm too, and should do a good job because it is 3 oz heavier than most 9mm buffers.

Pistol calibers will all have a different recoil characteristic than rifles because of the unlocked system, and there is so much more mass reciprocating.

I was suprised to hear it ran you light loads. I wasn't real suprised to hear that the girls had a bit of trouble with those loads. (not leaning into the gun and such, as you mentioned).

If you get a chance to chrono... I've always wondered how fast a fast powder would burn in a longer barrel. No "pop" may mean the powder is getting burnt up nicely by the time it gets to the end of the barrel. Then again, you are shooting sub-sonic loads.

I know you won't need to for most of our type of shooting, but I wonder how well the gun would shoot with some specific load development...

Hmmm...I'm also wondering about the twist rate, bullet stabilization and bullet weight.

Sounds like a real neat idea that should fit well with many and their current gear.

BTW...G18 mags take a +5 base pad and seem to work well. I haven't done extensive tests at max capacity...but they work.

Keep us updated. Thanks Seth.

I have had mine for almost a year. I love it, Got the shorter barrel with extended muzzle device. Dressed it up all nice with the goods and try to get it out any time we go shooting.

• 1 month later...

After a call to Oly arms, they said these rifles are calibrated to run w/ 223 weight buffers and buffer springs. I replaced the factory buffer spring with a Tubb flat wire spring. It will shoot from the hip (with the gun absorbing all the recoil) just fine no malfunctions now.

I also chrono'ed the 3.3 VV320 under a zero 147 this weekend. It is going an average of 960 fps from the 16" barrel. It was 35 deg F when I tested. From my G-17 the load gives about 900 fps in the summer.

Shooting the rifle, informally, at 100yds you can double tap and hear both impacts after the 2nd report has died away. I never thought of 100yds as long range shooting, but with the sound return it makes it seem like it.

I shot one of the 9mm Oly/Glocks a couple of months ago. It ran fine and felt just like my Colt 9mm.

Mine recently started experiencing stovepipe jams. It wasn't an ammo issue as it would do it with everything I tried. I did notice it felt like it was recoiling harsher than I remembered.

I too thought the buffer spring was possibly weakening. I will order a new one with my next Brownells order. But in the meantime, I replaced the factory 9mm buffer with a heavier one from a .223. No more malfunctions - not a one since replacement.

I will still get a new spring but it seems the heavier buffer slowed down the cycling and compensated for the weaker spring that speeded cycling up.

I am in it too.. seth maybe we could convince Lew to let us run through the IDPA match with our Pistol Caliber Carbines?? just have to make sure we have a set and written rules of safety. to prevent any... umm. less than experienced folks from coming in and jeapordizing safety.

Mine is an olympic Upper 10.5" bbl with flash hider to extend to 16" I've ran mostly winchester white box in it. but have had a few jamming issues. I'm running an A2 stock/buffer combo in it right now I need to swap the stocks out i guess. I had hoped to pick up another lower but it doesn't look like that is going to happen immediately

I have a colt 9mm 6450. I decided to run a few loads through the chrony. This was last year, so i dont remember exact #'s. what i do remember is that a mag safe ran into the 2000 fps range. I was pretty impressed by that. I also remember that the remington golden sabre 124?+p ran faster then the 127? winchester +p+ Ranger. All were significantly faster then out of my beretta 92, or my Springfiled xd.