Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G34 Legal Mods?

midvalleyshooter

Start with sights, I like Dawson. TruGrip is great stuff. You can get a Wolff competition spring pack for $8 and combine it with a $0.25 trigger job for a 2.5-3.0 lbs trigger. A 13 lbs and 15 lbs recoil spring to experiment with, perhaps a guiderod - stainless is fine (no guiderod for IDPA).

Natchez seems to have the cheapest magazines at ~$16 each. If your budget allows, buy a bunch. They're running a sale on Blazer ammo right now too. A lot of places have Bladetech holsters in stock, the DOH can be made IDPA legal by removing the hanger portion, but still retain the DOH form for USPSA shooting.

I'd shoot it stock for the rest of 2007. New rules are being drafted for USPSA that will take effect in January 2008. You don't want to do a lot of work and invalidate your gun 11 months from now. We should have a better idea what the new rules will be after the review deadline (end of March).

There's a lot of discussion about Production division over on the USPSA Forums so you may want to take a look and see which way the wind is blowing on modifications.

Start with sights, I like Dawson. TruGrip is great stuff. You can get a Wolff competition spring pack for $8 and combine it with a $0.25 trigger job for a 2.5-3.0 lbs trigger. A 13 lbs and 15 lbs recoil spring to experiment with, perhaps a guiderod - stainless is fine (no guiderod for IDPA).

Natchez seems to have the cheapest magazines at ~$16 each. If your budget allows, buy a bunch. They're running a sale on Blazer ammo right now too. A lot of places have Bladetech holsters in stock, the DOH can be made IDPA legal by removing the hanger portion, but still retain the DOH form for USPSA shooting.

I guess I should have mentioned I bought a used G34. It came with a trigger job by Grayguns, 9 ten round mags and an Uncle Mike holster. I will try the 13 - 15 lb recoil spring. No guide rod in IDPA :(

Thanks,

Keith

I'd shoot it stock for the rest of 2007. New rules are being drafted for USPSA that will take effect in January 2008. You don't want to do a lot of work and invalidate your gun 11 months from now. We should have a better idea what the new rules will be after the review deadline (end of March).

There's a lot of discussion about Production division over on the USPSA Forums so you may want to take a look and see which way the wind is blowing on modifications.

OK, I will shoot and see :)

Thanks,

Keith

Do you mean Production and SSP?.The reason I ask is in ESP you can use a magwell and extended base pads.Not so in either Production and SSP.

I thought ESP would allow more mods???

Keith

+1 to TruGrip, Dawson sights, extra mags, and ammo. Beware of the Wolff trigger spring, however, as they have a history of breaking more often than the stock spring...

I am not a fan of the Dawson sights. I think they are somewhat overpriced. You can purchase Ameriglo sights for a fraction of the price. If you want to shoot ESP get a good magwell that fits the box and a full length steel guide rod. They are hard to find so I just make my own out of drill rod. I use a Wolf 12# recoil spring.

There is no reason to use a Wolf trigger spring. The stock one is fine.

Load some 147 gr bullets with a fast powder and you are good to go.

It is pretty easy to get a 1# trigger with a Glock if so desired. I set my Glocks up with a short, crisp 1 1/4# trigger.

+1 to TruGrip, Dawson sights, extra mags, and ammo. Beware of the Wolff trigger spring, however, as they have a history of breaking more often than the stock spring...

The gun has grip tape that I will run with to see how I like it. Does anyone just turn the stock fixed sight around and put on a Dawson fiber front? Seems like if I got the different height glock rear sights and a good sight pusher I could whittle on the sights until I was happy?

Thanks,

Keith

I am not a fan of the Dawson sights. I think they are somewhat overpriced. You can purchase Ameriglo sights for a fraction of the price. If you want to shoot ESP get a good magwell that fits the box and a full length steel guide rod. They are hard to find so I just make my own out of drill rod. I use a Wolf 12# recoil spring.

There is no reason to use a Wolf trigger spring. The stock one is fine.

Load some 147 gr bullets with a fast powder and you are good to go.

It is pretty easy to get a 1# trigger with a Glock if so desired. I set my Glocks up with a short, crisp 1 1/4# trigger.

I may just try turning around the stock sight and putting on a thinner more visible front as I mentioned above, what do you think?

Got any idea where I can get one of the hard to locate steel guide rods? I will try 147's, right now I am shooting my Kimber with 230's so anything in 9mm feels soft :) The trigger on this G34 is not real light but it is smooth and crisp for a Glock.

I just want to thank everyone for your input to help get this old IPSCer/IDPAer back in the game.

Keith

The "no guide rods" in IDPA is not correct. All Glocks need a guide rod :lol:

Seriously this is from page 20 of the IDPA rulebook under SSP: “Guide rods made of a material different from the factory part it replaces." are under "Excluded modifications.

On page 22 of the IDPA rulebook under Permitted modifications to ESP: "11. Full length guide rod manufactured of material that is no heavier than common steel.

So I run a stock guide rod and spring in my personal G34 for SSP and the G34 that I run in ESP has this guide rod from Novak's Handgunner Outlet: http://store.novakshandgunneroutlet.com/nh...teel-guide.html

I run this Magwelll: http://www.jprifles.com/1.5.3.4.php

It fits in the IDPA box. Since IDPA has this requirement for ESP: "D. Fit in the IDPA gun test box measuring 8 ¾” x 6” x 1 5/8.” with an empty magazine inserted."

I run the Ralph S. trigger kit in my gun and while it measures 2.25 pounds in my G34 when measured from the tip of the trigger next to the trigger guard, when I measure my trigger weight from the center of the trigger as the proposed 2008 USPSA rules require, it hits consistently at 3.5 pounds, so I am fine there.

I run the Dawson’s, but would consider the Sevigney sights as a good alternative: http://www.gunracing.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi...007A1B0000001B1

Buy 10,000 rounds of ammo to get started, a timer, some targets and pasters and a membership in a club with better shooters than you and go!

Hope that this helps,

Rick

Seriously this is from page 20 of the IDPA rulebook under SSP: "Guide rods made of a material different from the factory part it replaces." are under "Excluded modifications.

On page 22 of the IDPA rulebook under Permitted modifications to ESP: "11. Full length guide rod manufactured of material that is no heavier than common steel.

So I run a stock guide rod and spring in my personal G34 for SSP and the G34 that I run in ESP has this guide rod from Novak's Handgunner Outlet: http://store.novakshandgunneroutlet.com/nh...teel-guide.html

It fits in the IDPA box. Since IDPA has this requirement for ESP: "D. Fit in the IDPA gun test box measuring 8 ¾" x 6" x 1 5/8." with an empty magazine inserted."

I run the Ralph S. trigger kit in my gun and while it measures 2.25 pounds in my G34 when measured from the tip of the trigger next to the trigger guard, when I measure my trigger weight from the center of the trigger as the proposed 2008 USPSA rules require, it hits consistently at 3.5 pounds, so I am fine there.

I run the Dawson's, but would consider the Sevigney sights as a good alternative: http://www.gunracing.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi...007A1B0000001B1

Buy 10,000 rounds of ammo to get started, a timer, some targets and pasters and a membership in a club with better shooters than you and go!

Hope that this helps,

Rick

Thanks Rick for the in depth reply with links. All those products look good, especially the Sevigney sights, with the deep wide rear notch and narrow tall front sight. Maybe I will get just the sights and run with what I got from there.

As far as ammo, 10k??? :D:D How about 1k, a 1050 and a bunch of components :D:D:D

Thanks again,

Keith

Edited by midvalleyshooter

Seriously this is from page 20 of the IDPA rulebook under SSP: "Guide rods made of a material different from the factory part it replaces." are under "Excluded modifications.

It fits in the IDPA box. Since IDPA has this requirement for ESP: "D. Fit in the IDPA gun test box measuring 8 ¾" x 6" x 1 5/8." with an empty magazine inserted."

I run the Dawson's, but would consider the Sevigney sights as a good alternative: http://www.gunracing.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi...007A1B0000001B1

Hope that this helps,

Rick

Thanks Rick for the in depth reply with links. All those products look good, especially the Sevigney sights, with the deep wide rear notch and narrow tall front sight. Maybe I will get just the sights and run with what I got from there.

As far as ammo, 10k??? :D:D How about 1k, a 1050 and a bunch of components :D:D:D

Thanks again,

Keith

Keith, two seasons ago I shot 12,000 rounds through my G34. With 9mm it is very hard to justify reloading if you are shooting and like the impulse or recoil feel of 115 grain ammo. There is a lot to like with that ammo by the way. I decided to try and shoot the zero 147 for a while and then started to reload those with V V powder. It sure is easier to just buy the stuff and I can recomend Blazer ammo from CCI. Many have bad mouthed the stuff, but bluntly it always worked well for me and gave me very good groups out of my gun. I've recently went back to the Blazer from the 147 Zeros.

If we were talking about shooting the Glock 35 in ESP, without a doubt get the Dillon 650 or if you have the big bucks buy the 1050, but for a G34 in 9mm, you would have to shoot millions of rounds to make up the difference in savings. :o

Have fun and pull the trigger. You don't have to buy the ammo all at once, but the 10,000 rounds wasn't meant to be a joke. Once you start to play this game you will be surprised how addicting it can be. When you shoot IDPA and USPSA, you will have a match or two almost every weekend somewhere.

Rick

I shot a 34 in both production, SSP, and ESP. I had someone turn me a Plastic one to use in SSP as it was easier to change recoil springs than on the stock one. It has lasted over 10k rounds . In production and ESP I used a steel one. The mag well I used was the Delrin one from brownells. It is small and fits the box.

Hope that this helps,

Rick

Thanks again,

Keith

Keith, two seasons ago I shot 12,000 rounds through my G34. With 9mm it is very hard to justify reloading if you are shooting and like the impulse or recoil feel of 115 grain ammo. There is a lot to like with that ammo by the way. I decided to try and shoot the zero 147 for a while and then started to reload those with V V powder. It sure is easier to just buy the stuff and I can recomend Blazer ammo from CCI. Many have bad mouthed the stuff, but bluntly it always worked well for me and gave me very good groups out of my gun. I've recently went back to the Blazer from the 147 Zeros.

If we were talking about shooting the Glock 35 in ESP, without a doubt get the Dillon 650 or if you have the big bucks buy the 1050, but for a G34 in 9mm, you would have to shoot millions of rounds to make up the difference in savings. :o

Have fun and pull the trigger. You don't have to buy the ammo all at once, but the 10,000 rounds wasn't meant to be a joke. Once you start to play this game you will be surprised how addicting it can be. When you shoot IDPA and USPSA, you will have a match or two almost every weekend somewhere.

Rick

Rick I'm kind of an old hand at shooting, the last 5 or so has been CAS, but recuring shoulder tendinitis (I rehabed it 6 monthes last year) has led me back to action pistol and a soft shooting 9mm. I have a 1050 already bolted to the bench, so I will probaly buy some 9mm and reload some to.

Thanks again for all the help with the G34 ideas :)

Keith

I shot a 34 in both production, SSP, and ESP. I had someone turn me a Plastic one to use in SSP as it was easier to change recoil springs than on the stock one. It has lasted over 10k rounds . In production and ESP I used a steel one. The mag well I used was the Delrin one from brownells. It is small and fits the box.

Thanks Chris I will check out Brownell's.

Keith