Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Too Port Or Not Too Port....that Is The Question?

Pin Shooter

I had to look that one up........... :mellow:

Caveat Emptor

Caveat emptor is Latin for "Let the buyer beware".

google is a wonderful thing..

I first learned that phrase from an old Brady Bunch episode where Greg learned a hard lesson after buying a car from a buddy that turned out to be junk.

My knowledge is this arena is limited so please bear with me, but I thought I remember hearing that one of the advantages of Taylor Throating is that any constrictions worked into the bore on a crush fit barrel is removed by the process.

To the extent that any constrictions are created that way (I'm skeptical, but I suppose it might sometimes be an issue), any recutting of the forcing cone would take it away.

I'm thinking about marketing a 10.5 degree forcing cone reamer, and asking Cliff to be the celebrity spokesman.

The only problem is that the phrase "Walsh Throating" just sounds creepy.

Make it a 3 caliber long constriction and call it "Deep".

Hi Mark,

My ICORE gun is a V-Comp with the little factory comp on the end opened up to one big hole. Last year I drilled three 3/16" holes mid distance on the 5" barrel and I didn't notice any real difference, a bit dissapointing. As for accuracy it will still shoot Rainier plated 158's all in the X ring at 50 after drilling.

Todd

Hi Todd,

Did you have to cahnge your load after drilling the holes....was there any loss in fps?

Regards

Mark

Hi Mark,

My ICORE gun is a V-Comp with the little factory comp on the end opened up to one big hole. Last year I drilled three 3/16" holes mid distance on the 5" barrel and I didn't notice any real difference, a bit dissapointing. As for accuracy it will still shoot Rainier plated 158's all in the X ring at 50 after drilling.

Todd

I hope Mike is feeling better now that he's done regurgitating. :unsure:

I have been playing around with comps since 1990 or so. I had a Springer single stack built into a comp gun back then. The comp was only effective when I loaded the Bull-X(RIP) 150 gr LSWC to about 1200 fps. Those babies would BURN right thru cardboard and the comp worked great. In a weak moment, I had a 625 Magnaported which was atotal waste of money when shooting hardball. I finally had that revo converted to 460 Rowland and the ports are useful again.

Comps are marvelous with hot .38 Supers but only for show with minor loads. I would say Pinshooter's long, heavy barrel is most effective at controlling the muzzle. Therefore, cutting ports would lighten the barrel and work against your objective. The compromise would be to juice your ammo up significantly to create enough pressure to work the ports.

Anyway, have fun and stay safe. :cheers:

Bob

A16841

Hi Todd,

Did you have to cahnge your load after drilling the holes....was there any loss in fps?

Regards

Mark

No noticable loss, same load of 4.5 of 4756 in a short Colt case makes 135 +/- pf.