Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Draw With Glock And Doh Holster

boo radley

For better or worse, I've changed my draw so I (mostly) get my hand around the back-strap of the gun, as my first motion. This works fine with my CR speed holster in the past, and the DOH with single-stacks.

But I just got a Blade-Tech DOH for the Glock, and I notice because the handle of my G35 is so fat, I can't really get my thumb in there because it's blocked by the off-set piece. There's no room, and it really feels odd.

Do y'all just get the grip with the other four fingers, and not get the thumb around firmly until it starts to come out of the holster? Thx

I use a 1/2" nylon spacer purchased at a hardware store to offset the DOH even more and get my thumb in there. Getting the full grip while the pistol is still in the holster is my personal key to get a fast draw to an A hit.

I believe the threads you'll need on the extended screws which work with the spacer are 8-32.

i bought my DOH from blade-tech at a match, and i had the same problem immediately. so the blade-tech guy cut a few rubber spacers for me to give it a little more offset (similar to what pickles did).

they'll probably mail you some longer screws for nothing...cant hurt to give them a call and ask.

I have this problem too. Like you said, my thumb just won't fit down into the little crevice. So what I have been doing is snatching it up, getting the grip, and then coming forward with it. Now that I hear about the little spacer trick I'm going to the parts store to find something to make.

Joe

Do y'all just get the grip with the other four fingers, and not get the thumb around firmly until it starts to come out of the holster? Thx

Yup. I had to rework my draw after going to the DOH. The change has certainly been for the better. With constant practice (dryfire/livefire) you will adjust very quickly to the change.

Perhaps not ideal for the fastest draw but when a holster prevents my thumb from forming a full grip I put it on the back of the slide. Same placement as when I reholster, thumb on the back of the slide.

Anyway, right as the gun clears the holster my thumb drops down into position. I have do this with my concealment holster and it works pretty good.

I use a Hellweg for Production and I just heated up the Kydex and spaced it out further due for thumb clearance.

Yep their is a curve involved with this holster. I set the thumb on the "ledge" and start the draw with the four fingers while pushing off with the thumb. I find, for some reason, that drawing from surrender a little faster than from hands at side. I suppose because I'm dropping down to the gun my hand orientates itself. I'm getting faster with this holster. It's a keeper.

Jim

Thx all - I'd rather change the holster than change my draw, since I have two other guns using the DOH, and neither of them have this issue.

Had to run to the friendly Home Depot last night, anyway (or used this as an excuse), and Pickles is right: 8-32 screws are exactly what you need, and I picked up some nylon spacers. Took a bit of fiddling, and I had to ream out the spaces slightly for the post end of the screw, but it sure works.

In fact it's TOO extended; I need to cut down the spacers to only 1/4" or so. I hope I won't have to trim the screws also: bought 3/4" ones. The factory screws look to be 1/4" for future reference.

I hope I won't have to trim the screws also: bought 3/4" ones. The factory screws look to be 1/4" for future reference.

A few years ago, I bought 8x32 screws in a bunch of different lengths just for that reason --- to have longer and shorter spares, for whatever modification or replacement needs might arise....

For better or worse, I've changed my draw so I (mostly) get my hand around the back-strap of the gun, as my first motion. This works fine with my CR speed holster in the past, and the DOH with single-stacks.

But I just got a Blade-Tech DOH for the Glock, and I notice because the handle of my G35 is so fat, I can't really get my thumb in there because it's blocked by the off-set piece. There's no room, and it really feels odd.

I had the same problem. I called Blade Tech and they sent a nice little goodie bag full of varying length spacers and and extra hardware. No cost. They are very customer service oriented.

DaG