Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Long range STEEL

At our local club shoot today stage five was a long range steel challenge.  Four 10" plates with a Popper on each side at 50yards!  There was a bonus incentive to any shooter who knocked down all six, a share in some prize money $1.00 per shooter to be split two anyone who got all six.  You only got one shot per piece of steel.

Out of all the shooters nearly fifty, no one got all six, five in about 28:00 was the best.

We all ought to be able to shoot plates at fifty yards right?

The open gun guys thought they could, but it was a limited gun that got 5 of 6.

Obviously, I need to start some long range practice.

We tried something similar a few years ago at a club event. A crafty NRA Bianchi Cup type fellow used a stock glock22 and went prone for the last 4 plates at 50M. We looked silly. He cleaned the lot and was way faster than anyone. Nobody thought to go prone DUH!

I didn't want to be the one who said it, but here goes. The truth of the matter is that the vast majority of USPSA shooters haven't developed the skills required to consistently blast 10 inch plates at 50 yards. To hold a 10 inch circle while standing without support requires a good type five focus, decent fire control and great follow through (calling the shot). Oh, and the pistol needs to be sighted in. :-)

Unfortunately, the majority of courses of fire that I encounter in IPSC shooting develop bad habits that serve to erode the fundamentals of making the type of shot that we are discussing.

There is no doubt in my mind that should I encounter a stage like the one described, I too would stand there and miss those plates over and over again. However, I went our after work last night and set the poppers and plates up and encountered no difficulty knocking them down. Add a little pressure and the timer and I suppose everything would fall apart.

At an IDPA match this past weekend we had a stage called "El Presidente Times Two." It was a modified El Prez, starting with six rounds in the gun and shooting to slide-lock, at 20 yards. I was appalled at how poorly I did, like 12 seconds, seven points down. And I had one of the top scores at the match! The club president is talking about, if this stage appears at the upcoming Washington State IDPA Championships, it's going to be "El Presidente Times Five," shot at 50 yards. Any thoughts on what sorts of times, accuracy I should shoot for (pun intended) for an El Prez at 50 yards?

Duane,

To answere your question I went outside and shot the 50 yard El Prez. From my IDPA rig, concealed. Draw was 2.56, reload 2.81 my total time was 11.71, down 10 points.  I just got home from work read your post and shot cold.

Bill

Shoot lots of 50 yard stuff.... Lots of time to practice till Aug.. I put in for the time off to shoot your state IDPA match. I hope to see you there.

By the way, I thought IDPA did not believe in 50 yard defensive shooting.

Bill

• 5 months later...

Quote: from Sgt Rock on 1:56 pm on April 21, 2002

At our local club shoot today stage five was a long range steel challenge.  Four 10" plates with a Popper on each side at 50yards!  There was a bonus incentive to any shooter who knocked down all six, a share in some prize money $1.00 per shooter to be split two anyone who got all six.  You only got one shot per piece of steel.

Out of all the shooters nearly fifty, no one got all six, five in about 28:00 was the best.

We all ought to be able to shoot plates at fifty yards right?

The open gun guys thought they could, but it was a limited gun that got 5 of 6.

Obviously, I need to start some long range practice.
:o

If this was a USPSA Virginia Count stage, it didn't conform to the rule book. Read 9.2.2.1. Only paper targets can be used for Virginia Count stages. You stated that the shooters were only allowed one shot per steel.