Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9/147 Grain Major Load Data

gazda4

You mean to make major power factor? Or just not finding much data?

Very few people use the heavier bullets to make major. Most I hear of are the 124g.......

i would like load data to go to major power factor

i havent tried that bullet weight in the 9mm major.

my buddy shoots them though. he uses 7625, ill check and see what he loads. thinking 6.0 ish with a zero bullet

Ill check and be sure.

I had a major load with XTP and power pistol with a 147 grian bullet...but i was shooting in a production glock for "duty ammo practice" It was the book max load on alliants website.

Harmon

i havent tried that bullet weight in the 9mm major.

my buddy shoots them though. he uses 7625, ill check and see what he loads. thinking 6.0 ish with a zero bullet

Ill check and be sure.

I had a major load with XTP and power pistol with a 147 grian bullet...but i was shooting in a production glock for "duty ammo practice" It was the book max load on alliants website.

Harmon

please let me know as i have a some i want to try. can`t use the 124`s in open they are tumbling & very inaccurate

The data I have for a 147 pushed to major in 9x19 uses AA7 powder and runs in the mid to high 7's for charge weight. OAL was in the 1.135 to 1.140" range. This gave me mid 1100 velocity ranges.

This is still a very high pressure load and I suggest starting at under 7 grains if you try AA7 and working it up slowly as bullet/barrel fit can greatly effect the pressure curve you experience in YOUR gun.

please let me know as i have a some i want to try. can`t use the 124`s in open they are tumbling & very inaccurate

Gazda4, I see you've posted on another thread regarding bullet tumbling.

My advise would be to switch to a jacketed 124/125 gr bullet.

Majority of BE'ers seems to go along the same thought.

Open div. can be a challenge to tweak but once you've found your sweet spot, you should be OK.

My 2 cents.

tried another brand of bullet, works great.

what is w540.? i also tried rainier 9/147 hp works great used hs6, 6.6 @ 1147 p/f of 168

no tumbling & is accurate.

would like to try other powders & loads for major, anyone have load info. on 9/147 gr. bullet

can`t seem to find any major load data for 9/147 grain bullets

I believe you are trying for an OPEN 9MM major load?

I am not an expert but those (GMs) who are, have told me you want more powder and the lighest bullet you can get (within certain limits of course).

In other words, the slower the powder and the lighter the bullet the better the comp is worked.

We do not have a lot of options shooting 9MM Major because of the short case size of the 9.

Highly suggest you search for the 9 Major loads thread. You will save yourself a hell of lot of time and headaches which equals more fun shooting.

tried another brand of bullet, works great.

what is w540.? i also tried rainier 9/147 hp works great used hs6, 6.6 @ 1147 p/f of 168

no tumbling & is accurate.

would like to try other powders & loads for major, anyone have load info. on 9/147 gr. bullet

My set-up:

9mm Open, STI Frame/ STI Trubor S2(one-piece)barrel&comp

Load:

Vit N350, 7.5 gr

Zero 125 gr JHP

1.155" OAL

Federal 200 Sml Rifle Mag primer

Remington brass / Magtech head stamp (once fired)

PF runs around 169ish

Check out the thread on 9mm major. Tons of load data to sift through.

Good luck and be safe!

My set-up:

9mm Open, STI Frame/ STI Trubor S2(one-piece)barrel&comp

Load:

Vit N350, 7.5 gr

Zero 125 gr JHP

1.155" OAL

Federal 200 Sml Rifle Mag primer

Remington brass / Magtech head stamp (once fired)

PF runs around 169ish

Check out the thread on 9mm major. Tons of load data to sift through.

Good luck and be safe!

thanks to all.

my question now is why small mag, or small rifle primers. ???

i`m using winch. small pistol primers, why would i want to change, advantages.. disadvantages ??

i`m not sure what to look for in fired brass, but i don`t notice anything that alarms me....

thanks

Small Rifle primers are the best choice IF your gun has no problems igniting them (they are harder than pistol primers). This helps control the excess pressure 9major generates as SR primers are made to withstand the much higher pressures in rifles. These are a better safety choice than SP magnum primers in 9major loads.

Small Rifle primers are the best choice IF your gun has no problems igniting them (they are harder than pistol primers). This helps control the excess pressure 9major generates as SR primers are made to withstand the much higher pressures in rifles. These are a better safety choice than SP magnum primers in 9major loads.

thanks, George. Yes, I personally think 9 mm loaded major in open is about a magnum load, hence, your explanation.

thankyou for the info. i`ll try 1oo nxt time i reload & see how they compare.