Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New, Where To Start?

Dan GSR

I would suggest you go to IDPA Website and the USPSA Website and read the info in these sites. There are a number of other shooting sports so if you don't find something that interests you ask again. If you post a little more specific area regarding where you live I am thinking that someone in your area might contact you with specific info regarding some local matches and events. :)

There are many kinds of competition. Looking through Brians forums will give you a look at some of them.

There are websites that describe the different kinds of competition.

If you are interested in USPSA/IPSC go to

http://www.uspsa.org/

I think this is the webpage for your section. Look here for contact information to the clubs nearest to you.

http://www.uspsa7.org/metro/

Welcome, you will have fun.

:)

Read the rules to IDPA and USPSA from both sites. Then attend a couple of matches in your area and ask a million questions :D .

Merlin is right. Be specific as to where you are in NY and someone on the forum will more than likely get with you and mentor you through your first couple of matches etc.

Hey Daniel,

Im also from long island NY and also new to the area , just looking for some matches around here...i believe there is range in Long island in the Pine barrens

here is a link

http://www.lipsa.us/

im probably shooting in Feb at their club.. we will be glad to help out

Edited by ogiebb

So i am interested in starting some competitive shooting...what should i read first?

I have never attended a match.

Thanks,

Daniel

Once you find out where the local matches are held by looking on the websites people gave you for USPSA and IDPA a good idea is to contact the person listed for the specific match you're planning on checking out. They'll likely give you a pretty detailed explanation of what's going on and introduce you to the people at the match. You'll be amazed at how friendly everyone will be.

I'm going way, way back on my memory here, but I think I have the major details correct. When I was living in Tucson, the president of the club where I shot most of the time talked about how she got started into competitive shooting. She and her husband went to check out a local USPSA match together and were warmly greeted by everyone. Eventually, one of the members set the two of them up with a backup gun and a bag of a couple hundred practice rounds that were of a load he wasn't using any longer. The two took turns and burned up a bunch of that ammo and were hooked in one day. She has gone on to be a three time USPSA National Champion! f you are interested, plenty of people will help you out. Good luck and enjoy!