Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Driving a Convertible

EricW

I've got an opportunity to buy an S_I Limited blaster with all the gear.  I really would like to run Open though.   I'm toying with the idea of getting an Open top built and having the scope mount locate on the frame with couple of taper pins just to make rezeroing it easier.  (The gun is fairly new (< 1yr old) and has low miles, I don't know who the builder is or whether it's an SV or ST yet.)

Anybody try this?  Good Idea?  Dumb Idea?  Pitfalls?

Thanks!

Eric

Eric,

Tu parles Francais (you speak french ?). This forum is getting VERY international

You can download netmeeting 3.01 for free on Microsoft site.

Now it's getting late here, so I'm gonna go to bed. But anytime we meet on the forum, just drop me an Email.

I should post it somewhere else, but this "video-call" thing (or whatever else you can call it) could be a nice addition to the forum: see my blaster, this trick on the press, this and this... Anyone ?

I know the Optimas are defunct, but when I built my Modified gun, I built a new top end for my STI Limited gun.

Back in the old days of pin shooting, a bunch of guys built both stock and comp uppers for their .45, to save a little money and be sure of having the same trigger pull for both categories.

A really hip gunsmith could machine a dovetail rail and solve your zero problems, but the cost would be....well, it would be like a yacht.  If you had to ask....

Why don't you put a Docter on the open slide ?

Docter are much better than the old generation of the optima.

They used to lose their zero because of the all plastic construction, now, the new generation has metal insert for the screws.

The Docter is fully aluminium made .

I saw the mount Jerome have on his blaster.

What a work !

The guy who done this is a kind of genius when the milling machine  !

If you put a mount with three screws and two tight fitted pin, you should retrieve your zero each time you switch from limited to open.

But for myself, I'd rather go with a slide mounted scope.

DVC

Julien :-)

Julien,

I just saw the Docter on SVI's site.  I'll check it out.  I'm going to test drive a few Open guns before I commit to anything.  I was under the impression that the frame mounted scopes were better since the dot was more stable.  

Do you know if the optics are plastic or glass?

Thanks!

Eric