Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Contacts And Monovision

KentG

Anyone else out there using contacts with monovison?

I have been and my right eye seems to be fuzzy on the front sight at the moment. Im going to make an trip to either my or a reccomended optometrist for a script update. Im thinking my right eye should be clear and sharp but only as close as absolutely needed to achieve a clear front sight which will still give me some distance in my right eye. Then I worry about shooting shotgun for the rear sight with slugs and my rifle for a dot and if the dot will be fuzzed out.

I figure the left should be for as much distance as possible, 20/20 or 20/15 and use cheater glasses for reading.

Anyone else doing the contact thing and how do you set your focus for each eye vs distance?

Edited by tnek

When I wore contacts in monovision format I had three lenses; left eye was distance, right eye was either middle distance for sights or right eye was distance and I wore cheap reading glasses for reading. I found the middle distance lens worked for pistol front sight and carbine front sight.

I have contacts, mono vision and cross domination of eyes, i.e., right handed, left eye. To make it worse my right is is for close vision. Regardless of the strange combinations the solution is the same.

The dominate eye should be focused on the front sight. I change my left contact to one that is focused on the front sight. You can determne the correct power one or two ways: 1) take a unloaded firearm into the examing room after you have asked the dr's permission or 2) measure the distance from your eye to the front sight and tell the dr you want a focal length for the dominate eye at that length.

So for two eyes I have three contacts. I switch right before the match.

However, just to cloud things up a bit: I have notice more clarity out of the higher moisture contact lens than the cheaper ones. The Acuve 2 lens seem to provide better clarity to the point I can shoot fairly well with them as either power. I ususally drop from a 4.5 to a shooting 3.75 in my lens to provide a sharp focus. I have shoot a couple of practice sessions with the 4.5 and the focus is pretty good. So you may need to upgrad to a better lens than change scripts. Most drs will give you a sample lens of each to try out.

I have contacts, mono vision and cross domination of eyes, i.e., right handed, left eye. To make it worse my right is is for close vision. Regardless of the strange combinations the solution is the same.

The dominate eye should be focused on the front sight. I change my left contact to one that is focused on the front sight. You can determne the correct power one or two ways: 1) take a unloaded firearm into the examing room after you have asked the dr's permission or 2) measure the distance from your eye to the front sight and tell the dr you want a focal length for the dominate eye at that length.

So for two eyes I have three contacts. I switch right before the match.

However, just to cloud things up a bit: I have notice more clarity out of the higher moisture contact lens than the cheaper ones. The Acuve 2 lens seem to provide better clarity to the point I can shoot fairly well with them as either power. I ususally drop from a 4.5 to a shooting 3.75 in my lens to provide a sharp focus. I have shoot a couple of practice sessions with the 4.5 and the focus is pretty good. So you may need to upgrad to a better lens than change scripts. Most drs will give you a sample lens of each to try out.

I have the cross eye dominant thing at times,, I actually have my left lens set for a bit closer but as of late I find myself being right eye dominant. I dont know why.

I use accuview2 as well with 2 lenses for the left eye. I HATE glasses for vision correction and Im not going to do lasik yet. I guess my best bet is to get lenses that do front sight for each and lenses for distance for each eye and experiment. I would like to know how other shooters deal with this.

Of all the effects of getting to middle age my eyes are the one thing I cant deal with.

I have been trying different contacts to see if I can get the front sight to be sharp and it just isn't working. I found a really nice optometrist that is busting her butt trying to find something to help me but so far the results have ranged from 'no better' to 'holy crap, even walking is hard with this in'.

The only 'solution' I have found is to take the time and really force the focus on the front sight to be as good as I can get it when I need it. If the target is open or the range is short and I can call the shots without the extra time I will, but on tight or long shots I will. It takes extra time, but I haven't found a way around it.

I have been trying different contacts to see if I can get the front sight to be sharp and it just isn't working. I found a really nice optometrist that is busting her butt trying to find something to help me but so far the results have ranged from 'no better' to 'holy crap, even walking is hard with this in'.

The only 'solution' I have found is to take the time and really force the focus on the front sight to be as good as I can get it when I need it. If the target is open or the range is short and I can call the shots without the extra time I will, but on tight or long shots I will. It takes extra time, but I haven't found a way around it.

I expirimented with wearing both lenses and then took the left one out and now just shoot with one in the right side for the front sight. Might be worth a try.

I have been playing with monovision..and found having my dominant eye set for close and my weak eye set for far has been working great for shooting..I can see my front sight beautifully have found the set up works for general use too..

I do need reading glasses for close work for either reading or working with small parts on the bench..

I have tried just one lens, in both eyes. Both to strengthen my dominant eye and to weaken the other up close, and to strengthen both at distance alternately. I have also covered every combination you can imagine. It just isn't working for me.

She said I have 'astigmatism' and that I need a 'half size' lens to comspensate for that but it isn't made at our last meeting. I don't know exactly what that means. She also told me I have learned to compensate for the visual deficiencies I have at a high enough level that tuning them out with correction could take several versions and working through them. I am still pondering whether or not I want to get worse for however long it takes to get better......

The astigmatism is not well corrected with soft lenses. Ask about a gas perm. You need the firmer surface to correct the curvature of your eye which is the astigmatism in my experience. I tried the toric lenses with little success.

weirdly enough..I had a small astigmatism..and when I switched to soft lenses..my doc said the astimatism had gone away....

I am still playing with different powers on my far vision..but my near correction is perfect for the front sight.

• 2 years later...

Resurrecting an old thread.

I just got a pair of monovision contact lenses. I am very near sighted and have to wear bifocals. I can't see far away or close up. I have been struggling with diminishing vision for a couple of years now, and in the last 6 months my standard bifocal glasses made it impossible to see my front sight clearly.

I have been getting very frustrated as my match performances have been deteriorating unless I shoot an open pistol. Well, today I put in the new monovision contacts and went to the range to shoot an iron sighted gun. I CAN SEE THE FRONT SIGHT AGAIN :surprise: What a difference. I cannot wait to shoot a match tomorrow and see what a difference it makes.

I am right handed and right eye dominant, so I had the optometrist focus my right lens at the front sight distance and the left lens at infinity. It works great. Now all I need is a pair of those nice Rudy Rydons in with racing red lenses and I'm ready to go.

Edited by baerburtchell

I just got a pair of monovision contact lenses. I am very near sighted and have to wear bifocals. I can't see far away or close up. I have been struggling with diminishing vision for a couple of years now, and in the last 6 months my standard bifocal glasses made it impossible to see my front sight clearly.

I have been getting very frustrated as my match performances have been deteriorating unless I shoot an open pistol. Well, today I put in the new monovision contacts and went to the range to shoot an iron sighted gun. I CAN SEE THE FRONT SIGHT AGAIN :surprise: What a difference. I cannot wait to shoot a match tomorrow and see what a difference it makes.

I am right handed and right eye dominant, so I had the optometrist focus my right lens at the front sight distance and the left lens at infinity. It works great. Now all I need is a pair of those nice Rudy Rydons in with racing red lenses and I'm ready to go.

Yes. This is the set up. I posted something like this in another place. Sounds like you got a real good optometrist. I spent a lot of last year working on this and after several iterations got it just right. ProClear Toric for shooting. Frequency Toric for everyday. With my shooting lenses I need +2s from the supermarket to read text messages and Palms, but shooting is great. Way better than glasses. Get the Rydons!

I am nearsighted and have contacts to correct astigmatism in both eyes. Mine are both corrected to 20/15. I found success in just removing my Right eye, dominant, lense. My vision is not terrible, I think the contacts are something like -1.75.

Side point to this topic is that I could focus hard on the front sight with the contact in the right eye. What I was having difficulty with was refocusing from the target to the sight and doing it for multiples on course of fire. My weapon would be in front of my face and I found myself searching for the sight.

Removing the contact now allows me to not have to work the muscles in the right eye to atain quicker aquasition of the front sight.

Just started this about 3 weeks ago and I am seeing new successes as a result.

Jay

This is the exact problem I was having and the same solution. Same left eye infinity, right eye focus at front sight, and I do have the rudy rydon red's B)

I have been using this for a couple of years now but my right eye has gotten worse to the point that I now am shooting open most of the time (both eyes focused at infinity), But then need reading glasses if I take apart my gun at the range.

Been paying close attention to the eye surgery threads... saving money :)

Glad you can see the front sight again :cheers: . I hope it works well for you.

This is the exact problem I was having and the same solution. Same left eye infinity, right eye focus at front sight, and I do have the rudy rydon red's B)

I have been using this for a couple of years now but my right eye has gotten worse to the point that I now am shooting open most of the time (both eyes focused at infinity), But then need reading glasses if I take apart my gun at the range.

Been paying close attention to the eye surgery threads... saving money :)

Glad you can see the front sight again :cheers: . I hope it works well for you.

Thanks Don, I'm about to head to a match right now. I'll let ya'll know the results of the new contacts.

Man, is it great to shoot a match and be able to see the front sight clearly again. Much fewer dropped points and better times. If I had not totally FUBAR'd the last stage of the match with a dropped reload it would have been one of my best matches in ages. Good to be able to shoot the iron sights again.