Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rear Sight Notch Width

Brendan M

Standard rear notch width on a Heinie rear sight is .125. We can widen the rear notch to your specification for an additional $25.00. The standard wider widths are .140 or .156.

For shooting USPSA and Steel are the standard or wider sights preferred?

I'm assuming standard is more accurate, wider is faster. Do I have that correct?

Thanks for explaining.

Weird, I always considered .125" to be the standard for rear width. Oh well.

I like .020"-.025" difference in front vs. rear sizes on a 5"-5.5" gun. This gives the 'right' amount of light on both sides of the front sight. I prefer a .100"-.105" front sight since this sight seems to fit the width of A-zone perfectly at 50 yards. Therefore I choose a .125" rear notch. (.100 + .025" = .125")

A lot of people run .090" front blades too, they're slightly too thin for my taste. Ultimately that's what this comes down to, taste. I don't seem to pick up the .090" as quickly as the .100".

I like a .105 front and a .135 ~ .140 rear notch. It gives me a really quick response yet still can be quite accurate on plates, and long shots.

Tried a .150 once and found that was too extreme.

+1- this is the same combo I shoot

Currently have .150 rear notch and .115 front blade (Warren Sevigny Competition Sights) on a G35. They took a little getting used to, but I started to really like 'em. Then my kid tried them... he liked them so much he has traded guns with me. :o Oh well, back to stock Kimber sights for me. I'm just glad he has a preference.

btw... stock kimber sights (.125 notch I believe) seem much slower after having used the wide notch WTS sights. But then again that could just be my perception.

Going to try the edge-safe file recommendation from EricW... wish me luck :lol: