Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 Cal Open Gun

Calamity Jane

<_< My first (race) gun was a 40 comp- built in 1990. You will be at a small disadvantage, but not much I had a STI 40 comp race gun = I still have one of the old barrels if with the threads = if you wan it. .> The best thing happend. It was stollen and the replacment was 38super. much better.

I you might try a 686, put a dot on it and shoot steel = Linda Lovers her's

JF

Flyin40 what to give up your brass source cause that's a smokin deal.?I use 9's and 40's and can't even come close to that deal.

Talked with the guy and he wants to stay local and supply the guys he already has. He said he can't keep up as it is, he just does it part time. Price did go up alittle, not much though.

Flyin40

--- snip ---

I can't see spending the money for a 38super just to gain 3 rounds. $3000 for a new gun, that would be $1000 per round plus I would pay a ton more for brass.

--- snip ---

Flyin40

Mr. 40,

Thanks for putting it back in perspective for me! :blink:

Later,

Chuck

--- snip ---

I can't see spending the money for a 38super just to gain 3 rounds. $3000 for a new gun, that would be $1000 per round plus I would pay a ton more for brass.

--- snip ---

Flyin40

Mr. 40,

Thanks for putting it back in perspective for me! :blink:

Later,

Chuck

I don't know. I think I have shot my Super more than 3 shots over 25. ;)B)

When you pick up expensive brass and reload it 5 times its pretty close to .40 brass costs. I say that because most .40 and 9mm shooters I see never stoop to pick up brass. Those that do are saving a lot of money.

I'll chime in on this one

After looking back over the last 2 yrs shooting 40cal open there really no difference in 40vs38. The biggest difference is capacity, I get 27rds vs 28-30 for a 38.

Flyin40

How'd you get 27 rounds? Back when I shot a 9x25, the best you could do with 170mm mags was 24+1 or so.

Shred,

I get 26 rounds in a Bevenized STI big stick. You are right, I seem to recall that all that would fit in an STI 170 40 mag was 24 right out of the box.

Really, the main reason I went 40 was the law about buying/building hicaps was changing in Ca and I had a slew of .40 140 mm mags for my limited gun. I bought a few STI (for Para) big sticks thinking that I would either build a .40 open gun or sell them at a later date. The cost of building a whole new gun (I wound up building a top end on a P-16 lower) and the cost of super brass did not fit the budget right then. I shoot at Beven's home range and talked to him many times about mags and stuff and I witnessed him getting to master with his .40 It seemed like a good choice.

26 is a tight fit but it works! This is using the latest design Grams follower and his 4mm base pad. And, yes, if fits the USPSA mag gauge.

Later,

Chuck

My STI Edge is with JP right now having a JPoint melted into the slide. My wife's buying me two .40 cal 170mm mags for Christmas just in case I need them. I originally had the JPoint and the mount. It sat too high for me and I always had to tilt the nose down to find the dot. By melting it in, I should see the dot as if I were shooting with iron sights.

Edited by TheQuietMan2

I get 26+1 with a big stick.

Same here, 26+1. I have another 170mm tube with Beven right now. You have to use the 4mm pad and the tube might need a few hits with a file to make sure it fits the gauge. Also the 140mm tubes with Beven's 11mm base pads gets 22+1

Flyin40

Edited by Flyin40

I get 26+1 with a big stick.

Same here, 26+1. I have another 170mm tube with Beven right now. You have to use the 4mm pad and the tube might need a few hits with a file to make sure it fits the gauge. Also the 140mm tubes with Beven's 11mm base pads gets 22+1

Flyin40

26 + 1 in .40!

Hmm I think I need to consider Bevinizing for mine. I get an ultra reliable 28+1 putting mine together myself with no trick parts, so maybe 30 +1 is really possible?

What I really need is 31 + 1 and never reload except on classifiers. Heaven.

Edited by BSeevers