Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Feedback Wanted On Precision Bullets "black Bullets"

Hog Sniper

Saw these advertised the other day. Does anyone have any experience with these?? I've heard horror stories of moly bullets in rifles with build up and pitting...Since then I've been leary of shooting them....They look like a good cheap choice to practice with but if they have problems I'll stick with lead and jacketing..

Hog Sniper,

I have used the Precision "Black" bullets in the past. They were accurate enough and cheaper than Jacketed and Plated bullets but I still had what I would describe as "Leading" although not as much as Hard lead bullets.

I used them in match situations only and use lead as my practice loads with good enough results. I quit because of the "leading" thing, I figure if I'm going to get it I might as well shoot lead as I still have to clean the ole wheel.

Having said all that............for cleanliness and minimum smoke I use Jacketed Precision Delta 230 RN plus they are the most accurate bullets I have tested in my wheels on average, (2-625s and 1 25-2) Plus They (P.D.) have really given back to the game since they have gotten into making bullets with our game in mind.(Like Montana Gold did/does).

Doesn't hurt to give them a try, Carmoney likes them but it took me two years to make him quit shooting lead in major matches.........He's just a little hard headed. ;)

My recomendation......buy enough Precision Deltas to make your major matches and use lead the rest of the time to save $$$$$......you just have to clean the wheel more often, but then you can keep track of wear and tear of the wheel better that way too. ;)

Good Luck, Good shooting!!

HOPALONG

I have used them in my limited pistols and my revo with no problem whatsoever. Then again I don't prectice as much as Sam or Mike.

I already have 3,000 though my Apex 625 and haven't had to deep-clean the barrel, as in lead removal.

Another case should be here sometime this week.

They do smoke. Not as much as lead but the do smoke.

Also try Berrys plated and see what shoots for you.

Still prefer Zeros.

I have used Precision in .45 with no problems.

I prefer Billy Bullets for moly in .45 and use them (Billy Bullets) for ICORE .38 loads (I like the profile of their 160 grainers)

Rainier, a local company, and Berry's are default plated bullets. I use either with a little bit more powder and no qualms.

If you are on the cusp as to pressure, a moly bullet is a viable option as you do get a little more speed with the same powder IMO

Edited by underlug

I've shot 1,500 Precision 200gr .45acp and about 1,000 230gr through my 625. I get no noticable leading in the barrel or forcing cone after 150 rounds. There is a dark "residue" left in the barrel that comes out with some wet patches and a few passes with a brass brush. Unlike cast lead bullets, Precisions cause no crud build up in the cylinder.

I used 5.1gr of WST with the 200gr and 3.9gr Clays or N-310 with the 230gr. These combinations create almost no smoke. (Titegroup will make much more smoke with these bullets.)

I weighed 20 of the 230gr Precision Bullets and found that the weight variations were very, very small.

Others use their .40 caliber products with good success.

Chris

I have been shooting my wheelgun for the last five years+ in USPSA matches and in the last two years I have switched to Precision 230 gr for economic reasons. I have had no problems whatsoever with the bullets as far as accuracy or function. For USPSA I use a load of 4.9 to 5.0 of N320 and it is as accurate with the Precisions as it was with the Montana Golds. For ICORE I am using 3.3 of Clays with the same bullet. There is virtually no leading and I only clean my guns about twice a year if that. I think, like some others that posted here that the problems is probably not with the bullet, but with the powder. A friend tried down-loading N320, Winchester 231 and Tite-Group for ICORE and all caused problems with unburned powder clogging up the cylinder. You have to find a powder that will burn clean with reduced loads. So far Clays works best for me in the .45. You may have to experiment to find one in .38. Good Luck and come see us this next May in Jackson.

Then again I don't prectice as much as Sam or Mike.

Practice?? Shee-it, when do I have time to friggin' practice, Nemo?? I work crazy-ass hours, this time of year the only daylight I see is out my office window, it's 15 degrees F. and windy and there's no such thing as an indoor range in this part of the country even if I had time to shoot, and I hardly ever get any sleep as it is.....which is probably why I'm so surly all the time and gratuitously insult people's cylinders and moonclips and stuff. ;)

On the other hand, Sam Keen shoots about 3,000 rounds a week, and he's as friendly and considerate as can be.

They seem to work much better in autos than revolvers. I had serious problems with the ones I tried in my S&W M14 , but that may have been shooter-induced, so I'm going to try some again.

I've used Precision .40s (155 and 185 grain) and like them in my Steyr. They can be pushed to major velocities with no problems. My load is 4.4 grains of Bullseye with the 185s, and runs 880-890 fps, just under major, but it's fine as a practice load and I only need a 125 pf for IDPA SSP and USPSA Production.

Edited by revchuck

Precision Bullets are quite a bit different than most other Moly Bullets. I've used them with good results for many, many years in my .45 1911 and a .400 CB 1911. I've also tried them in a M29 and a 625.

I don't like them for matches in my Revolver due to the blunt nose, starting about 2005, or so, their new machinery and molds left their RN with a FP. But never had any problems with them.

Some of the other Moly Bullets are not so kind. You can immediately tell the difference when handling them.

Precision's are so "slick" they will slip from my fingers when loading into the cases on my 550.

Remember even a FMJ with an open base will leave smoke in the air and a bit of lead in the bore. One reason I like the MG CMJ or Ranier/Berry's. Plus if you shoot Berry 185 HBRN with 4.2 Clays you get about 130 pf, with a 230 Berry it's 172 pf with the same powder.

If the Moly's are Precision you can't go wrong, for practice.

Miike, Thanks for the kind words. :)

unfortunately the 3k was about 1/4 total rounds shot this last year, hopefully I can do better this year.

RevChuck, unfortunately testing is just like practice.............it takes time and patience(good idea to make a log book too).

HOPALONG

I used them and liked them when they were RN 230's, now that they are RNF (?) I have switched to Berry's plated.

I am burning up some old lead and Clays I have laying around this winter. I sure don't like the mess.

I work crazy-ass hours, this time of year the only daylight I see is out my office window, it's 15 degrees F. and windy and there's no such thing as an indoor range in this part of the country even if I had time to shoot, and I hardly ever get any sleep as it is.....which is probably why I'm so surly all the time and gratuitously insult people's cylinders and moonclips and stuff.

On the other hand, Sam Keen shoots about 3,000 rounds a week, and he's as friendly and considerate as can be.

If I could only convince my wife how much good shooting does for my well-being, gosh, things would be so much better. Even the traditional wifely cure for grumpiness isn't enough sometimes. ;)

I have been using the Precision bullet in .40 S&W for practice and match with little problem. What litte residue is quickly removed with Carbon Killer. Smoke is greatly reduced over lead and the bullet is accurate. My only complaint is sometimes the primer don't go off on the first hit :wub::P