Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 Slide Stop Question

galt11

Has anyone ever seen an extended slide release for a 1911 that not only extends rearward (toward your hand), but also forward toward the muzzle? I have larger hands and this would be a little more comfortable when shooting the gun. Is this something a gunsmith could build? Please let me know.

Adam

Sounds like a device to reduce recoil, verboten in anything but open...

If I remember correctly, extended slide tops are not illegal in L-10 because you aren't using them to counteract recoil. You are using them to make it easier to release the slide. Kinda like wide extended thumb safeties. It therefore could be argued that if the stop can extend one way, it should be allowed to extend the other way.

Adam

US APPENDIX D8

Limited 10 Division

Special conditions:

18. External modifications such as weights, or devices to control or reduce recoil are specifically not allowed, such as but not limited to, thumb rest, extended slide stops, etc.

Hi all,

It seems to me that if you put some sort of platform on the barrel end of the slide stop forward of the pivot, any downward force on that platfom would cause the slide stop to try to pivot up and lock the slide! In addition, having the thumb pushing on the frame up there would probably tend to push the barrel down and to the right. I does not seem like it would help balance the grip.

Later,

Chuck