Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open holster

tmckeown

I am using a CRspeed 2001 and love it, but I have been eyeing a ghost holster latley. The CR works great it can be adjusted to hold the gun gun at any angle and the when the lock is on there is no-way that gun is coming out. The first match I used it in I forgot to take the lock off and when I went to draw the gun it would'nt come out.I'm a pretty big boy, 6'5" 250lbs, and I was pulling on the gun like a mad man untill it clicked in that i have to unlock it.  But if you don't want to have anything hanging along the side of your leg then I would suggest looking at the ghost or a limcat.

I have owned and used most of the holsters mentioned in the previous link and believe that once you try the Ghost, Limcat or Garcia style of tiny holsters nothing else comes close.  I personally use the Ghost and have no problems with it.  I drilled a hole in the trigger guard of each pistol and that was all.  The Limcat  or Garcia work just as well for anyone unwilling to drill their favorite blaster.  

They all have a lock position that will allow you to do cartwheels without losing your gun and can be unlocked easily while performing the draw.  Once the holster is in the unlocked position you have no resistance to the draw.  The biggest advantage for me is that once you draw the gun you have practically nothing to restrict your movement.  You can sit, kneel, crouch, crawl or go prone with basically nothing to stick in your leg or impede your movement.  This is particularly important if your prefer the appendix holster position.

Leo

(Edited by L9X25 at 6:57 pm on Nov. 10, 2002)

The Ghost and Limcat holsters are about the same, speed wise, but the nice thing about Limcat's rig is that you don't have to drill holes in your trigger guard.  I use the same holster for every STI and 1911 type I own (or borrow)...

The one upgrade I would recommend is one of jkmccoy's holster hangers...replacing the cast plastic crap with steel and aluminum.  Far more adjustable and much stronger.

limc.jpg

He also makes those hangers for CR Speed's...

http://www.wcc.net/~jkmccoy/shop/holshang/holshang.htm

Alex

bambam,

I think the holster that you are referring to has been discontinued and replaced with a new version that looks and operates similar to the Ghost or Limcat. It only touches the trigger guard and does not require drilling the gun.  Frank my still have a few of the old ones though.

Leo

i have a ghost holster and i really like it.

the new (newest version) arredondo holster has multiple locking positions and is cheaper than the limcats.  ralph showed it holster to me at the area 2 champ.  if i didn't already have a ghost, i'd buy the arredondo..

fwiw,

lynn jones

L-843

I have to throw in my vote for the Safariland 012, i had a ghost, as well as a few other people, and let me say, it sucked! the gun hung up on about 80% of my full speed draws, i have yet to have any problem with the 012, its real fast and easys to use, not to mention no holes to drill, have no esperience with a limcat yet though. and after the 012 i doubt i change any time in the near future.

Look at what the top dogs use...burkett is the only one i know of to use the ghost. Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

Yup, I went back to the Bianchi, I've tried pretty much all of the current crop of holsters and I still prefer the Bianchi. I like where it puts the gun, the range of adjustment is enough for me, and its plenty fast enough. I did some drills on Sat (prep for a match I never shot due to a huge snowfall that prevented my travelling. Figure I get ready to start shooting again and lose out because I still have my hi performance summer tires on) At first I pulled consistant 1.2 draws until I scraped the rust off and soon I was pulling .85 to .90 draws (to an A at 7m to 8m) regularily. No prob. warming back up to it. I find it very natural to draw from.