Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fluting An Un-fluted Cylinder

haras

I have a NIB S&W 627 .38 Super with an un-fluted cylinder. Does anyone know where I can get the cylinder fluted like the factory does (getting shallow towards the rear)? :huh:

Any compitent Smith should be able to do it.

Try Randy Hollowbush at The Handgunner Gun Shop in PA or Mark Hartsthorne at Pinnacle also in PA.

They are the only two I could recommend, as I have seen their work.

Glenn,

Contact Clark Custom in Shreveport.........(You can go through RENEET on these forums) Jim does all kinds of work........including wheelguns. ;)

I think Renee has Clark Custom in the business directory here too?

FWIW, instead of fluting it just sell it to me, It will save you a bunch of trouble ! ;)

HOP

And Dan,

Please don't be giving Carmoney anything to get the big head about !!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Contact Clark Custom in Shreveport...

I sent them a request, I guess it'll be Monday before I hear back.

FWIW, instead of fluting it just sell it to me, It will save you a bunch of trouble ! ;)

Ohhh... so that's where we are. I laid eyes on it this morning (heh, heh, heh). Had to leave it with my machinist to install a Weigand Classic front sight base (can't leave anything alone). :rolleyes: It'll be a month before it's shot :(

I would give Mark Hartshorne at Pinnacle a call. (610) 285-4392. He fluted the hunter(read unfluted heavy sucker) cylinder on my 627 that became the Short colt gun. I have pics of the gun posted in the Revo forum. Turned out really well.

The only thing that I would be concerned with is that the cylinder is a different color, ie. I think it is coated, and not blued. If I remember they did somthing funky with the cylinder for some reason. It may just be blued, but I think they put some really hard coating on it and that may cause some issues. I would check with Mark or Randy Lee to find out for sure. I unfortunately didnt have mine long enough to look into fluting the cylinder.... B)

Good luck,

DougC

The only thing that I would be concerned with is that the cylinder is a different color, ie. I think it is coated, and not blued. If I remember they did somthing funky with the cylinder for some reason.
Thanks for the tip. I doesn't look blued and has a matt finish. I was considering having it hard chromed (brushed) afterwards.

Dave, I don't think so.....I have a 627 in .38 Super (the one DougC used to own, in fact), and it has the weird-looking blackish-gray cylinder, but it's heavy. Mine is definitely not Ti.

Must be the coating that's very hard, I dulled a tapered reamer opening up the back of the

cylinder for 9mm's, cut some material off the extractor star fine but didn't seem to remove

anything from the cylinder.

So whatever the cylinder is made of, or coated with, you might want to get some specific's

before you take a cutting tool to it :o

Looks like this road is a dead end. Mark Hartshorne at Pinnacle says these cylinders are hard as the "Hammers of Hell" (I took that for a no). Guess I'll grin and bear it. Oh well, black and smooth it is. B)

The Smith distributor over here said the coating is actually like black hard chrome .... same process just not chrome. He actually took all the coating off his own cylinder with a bench grinder fitted with a wire wheel. I didn't like it personally.