Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rifles .375 And Over

Just looking at the forum's rifle shooters, most of the work being done here is .223, .308 and some 6.8...but I'm wondering how many of you, and who, have rifles .375 and bigger.

I have a semi custom .375 H&H, Sako 691 Mag action, Kreiger bbl, McMilian stock, 1.25x6 Schmidt & Bender scope...a .458 Win Mag, Santa Barbara mauser action, Wiseman bbl, McMillian stock and a 4x Leupold...a .460 G&A on a Witworth action, Douglas bbl, Bishop Laminated stock, ghost ring rear and Marble post in front...

Just curious.. :)

I thought my 460 G&A was a brute, but it only throws a 500 at 2400fps, not a 900 @2000 like the 600OK...and Z, your 378 is a beast the recoil from it is fierce...I have shot one...of all mine, the 458 is the worst..only weighs 8.5 lbs...even my 375 weighs more..and the recoil is all you want..shoot some Hornady Heavy Mags at 2150 or some PO Ackley reloads that will make you search your teeth to see if all your fillings are still there..that old man was really tough...

Man, Z...my 458 only has like 55 lbs of recoil and the 460 about the same, but the 460 weighs 11 lbs and the win Mag only 8.5...I cannot imagine 105 lbs of recoil...it would hurt this old man..you need to go bigger and slower....458 or bigger and max of 2400 fps...that gets it done every time..

heard about the new 375 Ruger...kind of like a 375 Chatfield Taylor except it is on a case with a bigger head than .532...a 300 gr a t 2350 or so...supposed to be for Alaska...but heck I want something bigger than that if a bear is trying to eat me...thinking about a 400 gr North Fork at 2400fps...that should do the trick.

Edited by tightloop

I have a .460 Weatherby. Great rifle. The rifle is heavy enough to asorb most of the recoil. Made the mistake of taking it deer hunting one time.... mistake mistake.

I also have a Sharps in .45-90. The big black powder cartridge and heavy rifle makes for a comfortable shooting rifle.

I thought my 460 G&A was a brute, but it only throws a 500 at 2400fps, not a 900 @2000 like the 600OK...and Z, your 378 is a beast the recoil from it is fierce...I have shot one...of all mine, the 458 is the worst..only weighs 8.5 lbs...even my 375 weighs more..and the recoil is all you want..shoot some Hornady Heavy Mags at 2150 or some PO Ackley reloads that will make you search your teeth to see if all your fillings are still there..that old man was really tough...

I've gotten the 900gr bullet up to 2300fps. 170grs of H4350 in neck sized, once fired brass. It's a lightly compressed load.

There is a good recoil calculator at :

http://huntamerica.com/recoil_calculator/

That says that with a 13lb rifle, shooting 900gr bullets over 170grs of powder, you get 184ft-lbs of recoil at 30ft/sec.

Have and enjoy a 416 Rem in a Winchester 70 Classic. Had two Ruger #1's in 416 Rigby and a Ruger 77 in 458. None to bad to recreate with......compared with the little bruiser.

Ruger chambered the #3 ( Less than 6#, square combed, 10/22 stocked) in 45-70. Ok, not bad if you run trapdoor loads but youthful bravado and a smokin' hot 510 grain @ 1800fps load got my attention right quick! Sold it shortly thereafter but the little brute did set me to learn how to run a top fuel rifle.

Big bore rifles give real meaning to "once is luck, twice is skill".

Cool thread!

Patrick

George in NePa

I guess a pound of powder doesn't last too long when you shoot 170 grains at a time...my 460 shoots 90 gr of IMR 4064 as a comparison...WOW

Patrick

Did you ever consider making up a 416 Taylor...necked up 338 brass...supposed to do what the 416 Rem can do with less recoil, but Dane Burns says it won't make 2400 from any guns he put up..he shoots a 505 Burns, base off a 404 basic case, shoots a 600 at 2300fps..bet that is a stomper..

I bet your #3 was a real crusher at 1800 fps....the old 45-70 can be bumped up to almost 458 Win class, so I know it was a real thrill to shoot it :lol::P:D I see where ruger is now chambering a 450/400 3" in the #1....lots of nostalgia in that one...and they have brought out a new cartridge, the 375 Ruger, supposed to be like the 375 Chatfield Taylor I guess...

What is the 700 Jackass...thought I had heard of most big bores, but not that one..what is it based on...and how does it compare to the 600 OK or the 700 H&H...

The 50 BMG throws a 750 gr at 3000..my buddy has one...36 " bbl and weighs almost 40 lbs....shoots 202 grains of some super slow powder...lots of fun to shoot, but the dies are expensive..LOL He sighted it in for 800 yds....

The 700 Jackass is a fictional caliber of about the same use as the 600 Overkill. It was created solely for the purpose of busting George's balls after he shot at what he thought was a huge doe at 150 yards....it was actually a very very small doe at 50 yards. The pumpkin sized piece of lead flew right over the poor doe. The doe was last seen wondering off laughing at George's range estimating skill. If he had used a suitable larger caliber he would have been closer to actually hitting the poor little deer. It is like the .45 vs .40 thinking on larger bore getting more A hits.

The 700 Jackass is a fictional caliber of about the same use as the 600 Overkill. It was created solely for the purpose of busting George's balls after he shot at what he thought was a huge doe at 150 yards....it was actually a very very small doe at 50 yards. The pumpkin sized piece of lead flew right over the poor doe. The doe was last seen wondering off laughing at George's range estimating skill. If he had used a suitable larger caliber he would have been closer to actually hitting the poor little deer. It is like the .45 vs .40 thinking on larger bore getting more A hits.

Actually, donut man, you came up with that name long before I missed that doe.

Your memory is about as good as your shooting.

:P

ETA

And you got the distances wrong too.

Edited by GeorgeInNePa

Z

Be very careful about shooting something like that...Bob Brister had detatched retinas in both eyes from shooting shotguns his entire life...the 378 could easily do the same for you...Perhaps you need a mecury recoil reducer device in the butt...balance is shot to hell, but the recoil is lots better...

Big guns are fun, but your health is more important than shooting the big ones... :P

Z

Be very careful about shooting something like that...Bob Brister had detatched retinas in both eyes from shooting shotguns his entire life...the 378 could easily do the same for you...Perhaps you need a mecury recoil reducer device in the butt...balance is shot to hell, but the recoil is lots better...

Big guns are fun, but your health is more important than shooting the big ones... :P

I would recomend NOT taking mercury internally :o Use a bottle rocket instead ;)

oh man, tell me about it. My neighbor had one of those things that I just had to try out. Kinda like sticking a butter knife in an electrical socket. You'll only do that once. Nice flat shooting rifle though.

I bought a .50BMG when CA decided now or never.

It's a fun little 40# rifle, all bark and no bite, no worse than a .308. I can watch the bullet impacts at 600 yards or more though the scope at 20X off the bench because the muzzle brake works so well.

215 grains of IMR 5010 pushing a 750 grain brass solid makes a good thump on steel that you an hear even at long range.

I don't know why folks have big bore rifles w/o a muzzle brake.

Yep, my bud has a 50 BMG...his weighs 36 lbs and has a 36" bbl...sighted in for 800 yds...fun to shoot but expensive...

Brakes are good only if you are behind the gun...to the side or anywhere else the noise is almost unnervine and will definately damage your hearing even with plugs and muffs...that is why lots of shooters don't brake their big guns..there are some guides who will not allow a hunter to shoot a braked gun...and I understand why...let someone shoot your 50 while standing 6 feet to one side and 3' from the muzzle...you'll know why too..

Well, don't stand there.

It's not like am sneaking up on anybody with a 5' long 40# rifle.

I have sat at shooting benches with other shooters w/ .50's on either side of me, I know the muzzle blast. It's not as bad as RO'ing an open gun inside a building, high frequency noise vs low frequency.