Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scope For An Open Rifle

norbs007

A lot of things are being said about 1-4x scopes for 3-gun. I currently use a TA11 for Tactical and currently finishing up an Open rifle. Will it be wise to use the ACOG on the Open and replace it with a variable 1-4x for Tactical; or is it better to use an ACOG on both to keep it simple? Thanks in advance.

Norbs007,

In my subjective opinion, I would dump the ACOG and go with the 1-4. Regardless of which scope you decide on, keep the same on both rifles.

You want as much consistency in your technique and your equipment as possible.

Erik

I have to agree with Erik on this one. I ran a TA01NSN this weekend and it worked great. Of course the JPoint on the side helped. I finally got to look at a Meopta and man that's about the perfect scope. 1-4x, 2-3 MOA dot, two little and one 6 o'clock stadia. The dot doesn't zoom up with the magnification.

The only problem heard with it is mounting is a little weird (have to get probably a Larue base) and Cy had some problems with the dot size. So once I get some more info on how it does at distance, I might be switching from the trusty TA-11 that's on my rifle back home to it when I get back.

Rich

I use the Meopta on one of my AR's. It's among the very best options out there. The only scope that's better is the Zeiss Variopoint 1-4 as it has a smaller dot. Personally I find the K-dot a little bit too big to be optimal.

Extra power on a scope doesn't make you a better shooter. If you can't hit it on 4X you probably won't hit it on 10X. If fact, it will make it harder to hit because your natural body oscillation will be magnified and it will be more difficult to settle on the target.

Erik

Meoptas ROCK! I just got one, and I don't think it gets much better for 3gun. 4x is PLENTY of magnification, since you don't normally need to see your holes at 300 yards (or 200 for that matter) 4x is plenty. If I can hit a larue at 1000yards with 10x, and I am no Terry Cross, then 4x at 300yards should be more than enough. The 1x on the Meopta is the best looking 1x that I have seen. Most "1x" scopes have way more distortion IMHO.

Call Benny if you want a Meopta, he sells them.

I use the Meopta K-dot scope on a Laure scope mount. The optic is CRYSTAL clear. I also have a ACOG with the JP Point on it. Either one should work.

Which SPR mount did you use LT-104? Thanks.