Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

open-10

megaman

• 4 weeks later...

"If you're in a state where all you can shoot is 10 rounds what's the big deal. Everybody else in that state is shooting the same thing."

That's not always the case. Take Claifornia, for example, where it's a criminal offense to possess a > 10 round mag you owned prior to the magazine ban. Newcomers cannot legally compete equally in Open division.

Solidsnake,

I felt a lot less welcome in Hawaii than I did when I was living in the United Kingdom, Germany, Danmark, Italy, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Kuwait, Korea, or Japan. I left the US in early 1990 and didn't get back until late 1999.

I greatly enjoyed every overseas posting but Hawaii, and that was due to the lefty, radical, causcian [sic] child beating, racists. I made some good friends, but was VERY happy to move back to America.

Back on topic...I think Limited-10 is just as stupid as the concept of Open-10.

I'd rather take the opportunity to follow Vince's sneaky "lets slide USPSA over to the dark side of ISPC" and make Limited-10 into Standard. Push that holster back, boys, and load stubby mags :)

If we want to play Open-10, then make it Modified instead. Stubby guns, stubby mags...

Open, Modified, Limited, Standard, Production, Revolver.

Then we would have almost as many separate venues as Cowboy Action...then we could have "cleats" and "no cleats", and "stable weapons platforms" and "no stable weapons platforms"...

Alex

Honestly while I feel for the capacity-challenged shooters, I don't see this as worthwhile at this point. Maybe if the AWB gets renewed we'll have to deal with it.

I know that "all those single-stack raceguns" everybody talks about don't come out for 5-round friendly steel matches, so why do we expect them at IPSC matches?

Hawaii may have been officially recognized as the 50th state, but here in the Republic of Texas we have difficulty accepting a society that so clearly holds inimical those values that we so highly prize. ;)

As far as "Open 10" I say H*LL NO!!!!. WHY?!?! The only possible reason to add divisions is to attract new shooters. I do not approve of, nor endorse the addition of L10 or Production except insofar as those divisions might attract new shooters. I am the scorekeeper/stats officer for our local club (and for some of the major matches in the area) and that has NOTHING to do with my opinion. I'm happy to enter shooters in any division they declare.

But...We already have six classes in five different divisions. At some matches nearly everyone gets a prize/trophy because they were the only shooter (or one of the 2 or 3 shooters) in their class/division. Now you want to split the competition up even more. No! No! No!

I want to compete. I want to know how my skills compare to other shooters. It is nice to be recognized within my classification, but what I really want is to win the whole match (not likely, but that's what I want). If you just want a trophy take your d*mned entry fee down to the local trophy shop and have them make one for you (you can have anything you want engraved on it)! You could be the "Best D*mned Shooter Ever" if you want.

If you want to know whether or not you shot better than I did, you need to compete in my division. Is the equipment I have better than the equipment you have? I don't know. There are rules that define what equipment is allowed. I followed those rules and I assume you did. I assume that we are competing on a level field. You could get silly about it...different divisions for different brands of frames, slides, holsters, hammers, etc., etc., etc.,..........

So you live in a state that doesn't allow high-cap magazines...Wah! Wah! Wah!!!! Everyone you are competing against has the same restrictions. If you are one of those poor unfortunates then you just have to live with it (If it's really important to you, you could move). Don't force the same draconian restrictions on those of us who live in places that recognize the second ammendment.

Cheers,

Just my thoughts but it seems to me that open-10 would allow a new shooter to start up and be competive

without having to spend so much on equipment.. After all several of those large capasity magazines cost,if you can find them,almost as much as a base gun.. Money that would be better spent on ammo..And as someone said earlier there are a bunch of single stack pin and steel guns that could come out of retirement

along with their owners and join the fray...

You gotta love it. Comments such as "move to the real world". Let you in on a little secret. What happened to the shooters in Mass, N.J. , California, New York and Hawaii just MIGHT happen to you (just ask the good people of Ill). It's too bad that the USPSA world suffers from the "I've got mine, screw you if you don't have yours". :angry:

I moved from Minnesota to Texas because of gun laws...no sympathy for folks who don't:

--vote

--pester their Congresscritters unmercifully

--vote with their feet when (1) and (2) don't work.

Alex

This is the last post that shows up for me:

Posted by: megaman Feb 10 2003, 03:16 PM

Hey Alex, isn't Hawaii part of America? You know, the 50th state? Or did I miscount the stars on the American flag? I can see the legitimate gripe about being competative elsewhere. Conversely if shooters used to big stick 170mms, get to Hawaii and have to compete I bet the local shooters would get a hoot watching the hi-cap shooters frustatingly run dry after 10 shots, during the stages.