Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Winchester Super Target

45gunner

After 6 months of using VVN320 reloading .40 cal rounds I decided to buy some less expensive powder.

I load up some Winchester Super Target in my Dillon 650, set the powder weight, then proceeded. After about fourty rounds I started to noticing that no powder was in some cases very little in others. On the very last round not powder was being dropped.

Dumped the hopper, loaded the VVN320 back in, and started again.

No problems with VVn320!

I had to pull the bullet on every rounds. About three or 4 out of the fourty was completely empty.

How to I overcome powder flow problems using Winchester Super Target will used with a Dillon 650 powder measure?

Edited by 45gunner

I haven't had any problems with WST through the last 8# so I can't help much because I load for a .45. I am using the extra small powder bar because I want the powder to dump into the largest opening available. When setting up the powder weight are you using an average of at least 10 dumps to check the powder weight? Do you also keep a case in every position during the powder dump?

I use WST with my 650, and I've never had a problem. I suspect the problem you are experiencing may be with the failsafe rod. If it isn't adjusted properly, you can get squib rounds. This happened to me when I first started reloading. It was an expensive lesson, and now I'm very anal about checking it.

I certainly don't think it is a problem with the powder. It's probably something you're doing with the machine.

Are you using a powder check system? This should catch any disasters.

Edited by CSEMARTIN

Ive gone through something like 48 lbs of WST, and it always meters great.

Use the 10 throw average to set the measure.

Check 10 individual throws. You want to know what your variation is. I get within .1

Look for debris in the powder.

If you let a fragment of the foam seal get loose when you first open the container, it will cause trouble like you describe. Other members of this forum have reported finding a bullet in the powder measure.

I use WST with my 650, and I've never had a problem. I suspect the problem you are experiencing may be with the failsafe rod. If it isn't adjusted properly, you can get squib rounds. This happened to me when I first started reloading. It was an expensive lesson, and now I'm very anal about checking it.

I certainly don't think it is a problem with the powder. It's probably something you're doing with the machine.

Are you using a powder check system? This should catch any disasters.

Thanks for the tip. :)

No debris since the VVn320 worked ok.

I am not having the problem now.

What is the correct adjustment for the failsafe rod?

In the Dillon manual is says to tighten the blue plastic wing nut until the end of the threaded rod is even the wings of the wing nut.(pg 16)

This does not make any sense since the entire rod is thread. My Blue wing nut was not very tight and could have not been bringing the failsafe rod back to home position.

I did adjust the blue wing nut a little tighter to make sure the powder bar returned home.

Edited by 45gunner

I did adjust the blue wing nut a little tighter to make sure the powder bar returned home.

That should do it. I actually clipped the wings off of the wing nut and secured it in place with two nuts sandwiched over a locking washer. It is permanently adjusted now.

• 4 weeks later...
To eliminate the wing nut loosening, I went to the local hardware store & bought a nut with nylon insert which DOES NOT work loose. A bit more work when emptying measure but IMHO, worth it.

I did a simular fix on mine. This works good.

A bit more work when emptying measure but IMHO, worth it.

I don't think it's more work at all. Just raise the shell plate an inch or so to take the pressure off of the failsafe rod assembly and it should just come right out.

• 4 weeks later...

Try checking the setup on your powder bar. Is it sliding all the way to the end when it dumps? Is it returning all the way home when you seat the primer? This is a good place to start looking.

I always look into each case as it indexes to the bullet seating station to visually see how much powder is in there. I cannot say that the dumps are accurate by this method, but I will know there are no double charges, and I know there should be enough to get the slug out the end of the barrel and not a total squib. This will work until I invest in powder check dies.

JM