Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rl550b Powder Leaks

Hope someone can help me. I own a Dillon RL550B reloader. I love this thing. :wub: With the exception of auto indexing it does the job.

However, I have noticed that I get powder leakage from time to time and it is really annoying. :angry: Sometimes the powder gets on the primer punch and I will inadvertently make a dent on a primer.

I have purchased and installed the arredondo powder bar on this thing and I still get leakage. What can I do to fix this problem? :(

Edited by tazshooter

The powder leakage is probably coming from the cases on the shellplate as much as from the powder bar.

When I get going at a good clip sometimes I fling the shellplate around a little too fast and some powder will get out. Same as you, I get marks on the primers when it falls in the punch.

What powder are you using and in what cartridge?

I would agree with HSMITH, I have never seen powder falling out of the hopper or bar, but like mentioned I see it denting an occasional primer. I would guess it is from powder that fell out of a case turned too fast.

Adam

Taz,

Go review the 550 tips and tricks at:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5335

You will find a tip about triming the spring under the detent ball to soften the landing when the shellplate clicks into position. The ball snapping the shellplate into position is most probable cause for the spilt powder.

Later,

Chuck

PS: Get familiar with the forum search function. I have found that it is very hard to come up with a question that has not yet been answered here! ;)

Edited by ChuckS

The powder leakage is probably coming from the cases on the shellplate as much as from the powder bar.

When I get going at a good clip sometimes I fling the shellplate around a little too fast and some powder will get out. Same as you, I get marks on the primers when it falls in the punch.

What powder are you using and in what cartridge?

I'm using 3n38 on .38SuperComp cases. I'm reloading .38Super. However, my charge is about 9.3 grains, which does not fill the case. Yet, I am using a Lee crimp and resizing die that tends to get the cartridge stuck on the way out. Therefore, I sometimes need to cycle the machine a bit hard to get the case out of the crimp die, but I have never seen powder leak out of any of the cases.

Taz,

Go review the 550 tips and tricks at:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5335

You will find a tip about triming the spring under the detent ball to soften the landing when the shellplate clicks into position. The ball snapping the shellplate into position is most probable cause for the spilt powder.

Later,

Chuck

PS: Get familiar with the forum search function. I have found that it is very hard to come up with a question that has not yet been answered here! ;)

Thanks, Chuck. I will on both the suggestion and the PS. Unfortunately I am still a bit new and I am trying to learn my way around.

Measure the thickness of the powder bar spacer. It should be .357"-.359". If too thin, you'll get powder flakes on top of the small powder bar. If the measured thickness is less than .357", call us for a replacement spacer bar.

it is quite possible that the shaking from extracting the cartridge from your crimp die is shaking a few granules of powder out as well. :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

I had powder leak from the powder measure, when the slide went back and fourth on my 650. I was using bullseye powder and the flakes were just too small and flat.

I have also used vihita viouri and titegroup with no powder leak/ spill problems.

• 3 weeks later...

What powder are you using? I have found that the denser powders like W540, HS-6 meter without droppiong any excess pwder whereas Titegroup always drops a bit on the shellplate. I use mostly American Select, Bullseye, WST, W-231, WSF and Power Pistol and have not expereinced a problem.

:P

Hope someone can help me. I own a Dillon RL550B reloader. I love this thing. :wub: With the exception of auto indexing it does the job.

However, I have noticed that I get powder leakage from time to time and it is really annoying. :angry: Sometimes the powder gets on the primer punch and I will inadvertently make a dent on a primer.

I have purchased and installed the arredondo powder bar on this thing and I still get leakage. What can I do to fix this problem? :(