Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking Of A 2.5x Ier On My M1a Scout

Overkill

I'm thinking of mounting a 2.5x Leupold Scout Scope on my Springfield Scout model. I've been shooting the gun in three gun, first with irons, and recently with an EoTech. The EoTech is great for hoser stages but my club will occasionaly run rifle stages out to 300. My performance at that range with irons and the EoTech has been poor.

I'm wondering if the 2.5X will be enough help to make a difference at those ranges.

Kurt and Kelly will tell you to stay with iron sights. The 2.5X will help no matter what. Are the targets USPSA full size or reduced? Plates, Poppers? A couple moths ago, at the Area 7 3 gun, we had poppers at 300, my Simmons at 5X was okay, would rather have had a bit more magnification.

What the glass, will do for you is, help with contrast and make it easier to find and see the target. (which can at times be difficult) The benefit that I see with a Scout scope configuration is that pointing on close targets is easier than with a conventional scope. 2.5 power will be a big improvement over no power at all. Playing in that OPTIC division pretty much requires the use of some kind of magnification, in order to be competitive, on longer range targets.

Trapr

Usually we see the MGM flashers, which is what a 8 or 10 inch chrcle with a 5 inch head box on top. At this point, I'm convinced my ability to hit them is about half luck, half walking fire in and getting lucky....or not. I've left enough of them behind in the past that I'm sure I'm better off score wise just poke one down there somewhere and move on. If the 2.5 wont put me on them I'm sure I'd be better off in limited class shooting to avoid the failure to enguage and moving on. That's the questions I guess, cause if the 2.5 wont help, it'll hurt by classing me with the higher speed guns and guys, that can hit.

Shooting out past 100 yards take some practice and setup. A 2.5 will work at 300 but I like 4 power better for that distance. But as somebody said Iron works too.

First thing you need to know is the drop at that range on your loads. Lots of fancy ways to find out, but an easy way is get a bench and some targets and lots of rounds and spend the afternoon at range. A spotting scope and partner speeds things up alot. especially the spotting scope.

Mount your new scope. bore sight it with whatever method you like. Start at 25 yards and get on paper then start moving back. If I had to hit 300 regularly I would zero at 200. Then either know how much up you'll be at 100 and 50 yards and how far down at 250 and 300. In IPSC I don't feel you have time to adjust clicks on scope during the run. So just dope the drop on reticle. However I would know my clicks for 100, 200 yard zero's. Cheat write them on piece of paper and stick that on your range bag. I always forget.

Now just practice, everything needs to be better at longer ranges, trigger release, hold, follow through etc.

Yeah, I wish there was an option that would get me into the 4x range. Simmons has a ProHunter handgun model that's 4x, but the eye relief is 11.7 inches plus according to Cabelas page. Burris has a handgun scope that 2x to 7x, but the eye relief is 11 inches plus. They also have a 3-12x with a 10 inch eye relief. That may be the ticket. I'll have to measure I guess.

2.5X is just fine for shooting at 300. But IMHO scout scopes suck. I would put a Accuracy Speaks or Smith Ent. scope base on there and mount a real scope like a TR21/ACOG/Leupold SRT1.5-5X/Meopta etc. etc.

The larger problem that I see is that you will taking yourself out of Heavy Metal and putting yourself into Tactical Scope where you will now be shooting your 20 rd hard recoiling M1A against ARs with betamags, Trijicon/IOR/Meopta/Leupold optcs etc. But if the goal is simply to shoot better at 300, obviously a scope will help. The scout scope will help you get hits at 300 but I'd much rather shoot irons inside 100 yards than use a scout scope.

The front sight on the M1A Scout is FAR too wide. You might want to mill it down to .040 - .050 and see what you think before scoping it.

Mr. Neil has a good point, but I would like to bring up anothere if I may! How accurate is your Scout? Many of the M1As I see REALLY need bedding! Many I have shot are 4-6 minute rifles at 100yds, making it a bit of luck to hit at 300. A good pressure bedding job wil usually get these things down around 2 MOA and sometimes even better. I have found over the years, that many people that swear up and down they can't shoot iron sights are really shooting inaccurate guns. KURTM

Mr. Neil has a good point, but I would like to bring up anothere if I may! How accurate is your Scout? Many of the M1As I see REALLY need bedding! Many I have shot are 4-6 minute rifles at 100yds, making it a bit of luck to hit at 300. A good pressure bedding job wil usually get these things down around 2 MOA and sometimes even better. I have found over the years, that many people that swear up and down they can't shoot iron sights are really shooting inaccurate guns. KURTM

Excellent point, Kurt. I believe the 4-6 MOA is or was the accepted standard for an M14. Accurizing, including sight tightening, trigger job will make a world of difference.

2.5X is just fine for shooting at 300. But IMHO scout scopes suck. I would put a Accuracy Speaks or Smith Ent. scope base on there and mount a real scope like a TR21/ACOG/Leupold SRT1.5-5X/Meopta etc. etc.

The larger problem that I see is that you will taking yourself out of Heavy Metal and putting yourself into Tactical Scope where you will now be shooting your 20 rd hard recoiling M1A against ARs with betamags, Trijicon/IOR/Meopta/Leupold optcs etc. But if the goal is simply to shoot better at 300, obviously a scope will help. The scout scope will help you get hits at 300 but I'd much rather shoot irons inside 100 yards than use a scout scope.

The front sight on the M1A Scout is FAR too wide. You might want to mill it down to .040 - .050 and see what you think before scoping it.

Yeah, I understand the disadvantages of shooting major with optics, but since I'm in Ca., the AR option isnt available to me so I'm stuck with the caliber issue. What I'm struggling with is whether or not to just blow off far stuff or glass up. Unfortunately for as often as I get to shoot rifle its hard to justify a thousand dollars worth of mounts and glass. I've already got a NM front sight on. Do you really think narrower would help?

I've shimmed the gas cylinder on my gun, peened the rear sight to tighten it up, and installed a NM guide rod and both helped bring it down form a 4-5 inch gun with surplus to a 2-3 inch gun with surplus. I also filed down the front sight some to reduce the clicks up to zero on the rear to help keep the rear sight consistent. Best group ever was about 1.5 with Gold Match. I suppose it might be a cheep expierment to shoot match ammo on the long stages and see how it does. I've also been toying with the idea of remanufacturing surplus to tighten things up.

my front sight on my AR is aprox .030. any thinner and its fragile, or fragiler. i know some guys do in fact shoot two different loads for they're .308's so you might try that as well.

And yes a thinner front site does make a difference, moving it farther forward does as well.

Trapr

• 4 weeks later...