Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

125gr Precision Load

glockadict

I am going to start loading for my G34 again. Everything else is getting so expensive, I figure practice with 9mm is the cheapest route besides 22. I was looking at the 125gr Precision bullets. I love the 185gr for 40, and 230gr for 45, so I figured I'll give the 9mm bullets a try. I was wondering if anyone has a good minor load. I have Titegroup, Clays, WST, N310, and N340 on my shelf. Thanks in advance.

I load a 125 gr Valiant TC bullet with 3.5 gr of Titegroup. OAL is 1.135". 1050 fps. BTW this is shot through a stock G34 barrel. No leading. I pay $18 per thousand for the bullets. It is also my practice load for my G35 with a 9mm barrel.

Edited by Joe D

• 1 month later...
I am going to start loading for my G34 again. Everything else is getting so expensive, I figure practice with 9mm is the cheapest route besides 22. I was looking at the 125gr Precision bullets. I love the 185gr for 40, and 230gr for 45, so I figured I'll give the 9mm bullets a try. I was wondering if anyone has a good minor load. I have Titegroup, Clays, WST, N310, and N340 on my shelf. Thanks in advance.

Titegroup should produce the MOST smoke. Avoid it w/ coated bullets and lead; great for everything else. For your application, I am a fan of N310 - if you own it already (prices have gone up). Have been expiramenting w/ Clays & 147s- should be even safer w/ 125s. The N340 is way to sloww for minor. No idea about WST.

... Clays is a bit fast for lead - but good with plated or jacketed stuff.

Could you elaborate your opinion? I would have a thought that a low charge weight "fast" powder would be better suited to lead than jackets. This based on most .38 WC, .45acp lead loads for accuracy (no PF requirement) are fast powders. like BE, W231, 700X, Clays etc. In my experience it takes less of a fast powder to propel a lead projectile than an equal weight jacket projectile to same fps.

This then leads me to believe that one could reach pressure issues i.e. too fast burning rate with jackets before lead bullets, since it requires more pressure (more powder) to force a jacket down the barrel given same bullet weight to achieve similar velocity.

Gotta love this site, as you get info exchange that does not exist in loading manuals.

Thanks,

MJ