Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Advice On Ipsc Pistols

penman53

Glock 35 is not a bad way to go (Pretty decent if you consider that this Year's Limited Nationals was won by a Glock Shooter). It will let you shoot in Production (USPSA only), L10 or Limited with very minor changes.

However, before you go and spend your hard earned money on anything, are you just getting started in IPSC and do you have a gun that you can shoot well enough in one of the divisions? If you have something that will work... go shoot a few matches with it and figure out what you want.

Are you a USA shooter?

Do you have any preconceived notions about what division (Open, Limited, Limited-10, Production, Revolver) you'd like to shoot in?

I shoot a G35 in Production with low powered (minor power factor) ammo and it's a great tool for the job. I have my doubts about the Glocks in Limited, L10, and Open. The money spent to equip Glocks for Lim, L10, and Open will bring the price nearly to the level of an STI/SV. That particular opinion isn't unanimous in the shooting community, lots of folks use Glocks in Lim, L10, and Open... I just disagree with it.

The G35 isn't the best Glock for Production if you don't handload your own ammo. 40 S&W factory loads are strong loads with more recoil than a similar setup in 9mm. If you're planning on shooting Production and using factory ammo I'd steer you towards a G34 instead.

Let the forum know if you have any requirements, i.e. maybe you want to shoot IDPA with the same pistol, you don't reload, you're a lefty, etc... and you can get better advice tailored to you situation.

Yes I have shot two IPSC matches with my Sig Saur 229 SAS. It is a great gun and I really like it. I have been told repeatedly that it is the wrong gun for IPSC. The barrel is too short supposidly. Other people have told me that the people that say that mush have barrel envy lol. I just know that most of the people I have shot with use Glocks, XD40's or 45's. and alot of them are shooting single stack.

I know that the recoil on my gun has been an issue for accuracy and the gun is a DA only gun so the trigger pull is a little stout, that also changed the accuracy I believe in rapid fire shootine. The sight radius is a little short due to the shorter barrel and if the barrel were longer, the recoil would be more managable.

I have been talking to a GM who shoots here in Edmond Oklahoma where I live and I will take a 2 hour lesson with him tomorrow. He shoots an XD40 plus many other guns, some glocks some STI etc. I really think he knows the business. He will give me the opportunity to shoot some of those various guns to see which ones I like. Then we will decide wich one I can afford. As you all know, this sport gets really expesive very fast.

Thanks to all for the help and please give me all the advise you care to.

Thanks Mark Thomas, Edmond Oklahoma

Production is usually the cheapest division. I've got $950 total wrapped up in my Production G35, including grips, mags, mag pouches, holster, belt, tungsten guiderod with springs, aftermarket sights, and an aftermarket barrel. The guiderod isn't a 'must have' and the barrel saves my brass from taking a beating in the stock Glock chamber. You could skip the guiderod and barrel and spend $750 to get a perfectly good Production rig that will outperform you for several years.

Other pistols like the XD, Sigs, CZ75, etc... are good guns too. Production doesn't have to be a gear race. Usually holster, mags, and sights along with a cheap trigger job is plently for any pistol to compete.

Reloading ammunition makes a huge difference in the cost of the sport. Spending $500 on a Dillion 550B will pay for itself very quickly. Brian Enos, the forum host sells Dillion and he knows the in's and out's really well. If I didn't reload, I wouldn't consider the .40 for Production.

Feel free to private message me if you'd like my specific likes/dislikes for specific Glock parts/accessories, I don't want this thread to sound like a sales pitch.

Depending on your preferences/skill level etc. there are many good options out there, the advantages of the Glocks/XDs are ease of use. Draw gun, aim gun, pull trigger. That being said, I shoot a CZ 75B 9mm in Production. It is an DA/SA gun with a manual safety, and can be operated in either mode as well as having the possiblity of being carried "condition 1" (cocked and locked). For me it is a more natural grip fit, and it is more accurate for me than anything else i have shot. On the ease of use side, I have to manually drop the hammer during the LAMR, when shooting production. They do make decocker versions of the same gun, which from an ease of use perspective would make it better for production, but would limit it to production only. The 75B could play in production, limited, and limited10 with little or no mods sans possibly a magwell and a good trigger job. I shoot mine bone stock, in production, and it is 100% reliable, which is more important to me than any one feature it may or may not have. (plus they retail for about $425 with 2 mags). A glock or xd would be a fine choice. Research them all, try what you like, and shoot what fits.

The Glock 35 is an excellent all-around pistol for practical shooting. You can use it in USPSA limited, limited-10 and production divisions as it comes out of the box. For IPSC (International) it would be legal only in Standard division.

If you want to start in production, you'd be better served if you reload so you can get a minor load that works well for you. Search for CarinaB article on 40cal in production. You can go straight to limited if you invest in some extended base pads for you mags, and you'll get up to 20 rounds in them (thumbs up for the Arredondo +5's).

The USPSA Limited national were won this year with a Glock 35. Nuff said.

The XD is another great pistol for USPSA. For limited division it is not as competitive becuase of the reduced capacity of the 40 cal mags. However, for production division it is a great choice.

The USPSA Production nationals were won this year with a Springfield XD Tactical.

What division do you want to shoot?

I had a stroke of luck today and was able to buy a SV in 40 cal for a rightgeous price. Not really much more than the cost of a Glock 35 with "options" ie trigger job, barrel and misc other goodies. This gun is truly a beautiful piece and I love the way it feels in my hand. I was told by my financial manager (the wife) that I had to shoot it first before I bought wich is fine by me. I want to thank all you guys for the information. Wish me luck on the gun ok? Hopefully it will really help me out on the range.

I had a stroke of luck today and was able to buy a SV in 40 cal for a rightgeous price. Not really much more than the cost of a Glock 35 with "options" ie trigger job, barrel and misc other goodies. This gun is truly a beautiful piece and I love the way it feels in my hand. I was told by my financial manager (the wife) that I had to shoot it first before I bought wich is fine by me. I want to thank all you guys for the information. Wish me luck on the gun ok? Hopefully it will really help me out on the range.

Nice choice, you won't regrett it. Glock 35 can take you a long way in this sport. Recently went to S_I myself and for the average shooter the differences between it and the Glock are significant. Not knocking the Glock at all because it's a nice platform as well. Lot's of things can be done relatively low cost to slick em up as well. Still your SVI purchase was a good one.

Sounds like a good financial manager you have there!

Edited by rwmagnus

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, the LTD Nat'ls were won with a Glock but I'd have to say the match was won by a VERY GOOD SHOOTER not necessarily the gun. Look who/what won the Production Nat'ls!

Robbie could win with a Glock if he wanted to, he shoots for SA and did great with an XD!

He could win with a BB gun if it made the PF!

Mick

A27257

• 2 weeks later...
Speaking of performing better with a Para...does any one know if the Para Tac 5 is legal in production?

Since it is under the heading "PXT LDA High Capacity Carry Option Series" and USPSA Lists "All LDA Models", I would say that it is legal in US Production Div.