Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrel Life Span Shortened With Titegroup?

steel1212

I've been hearing this pop up a lot lately and I'm just curious. Is this something that would happen after 10k, 20k, 30k rounds of minor loads? Is the differance only 1-2k versus a slower poweder? I'm just curious as I shoot titegroup a lot and I know my barrel with eventually loose its accuracy but I don't want to quicken it if possible. Now if its going to last 40,000 rounds I can afford a barrel refit :D

you should be OK

im over 20K rounds of major 9mm ammo(not using TITEGROUP...just regular powders) in my STI and havent lost any accuracy... and flexmoney probably put a million rounds of major 40 ammo with titegroup through his glock too....you shouild be ok with titegroup

Edited by Harmon

you should be OK

im over 20K rounds of major 9mm ammo(not using TITEGROUP...just regular powders) in my STI and havent lost any accuracy... and flexmoney probably put a million rounds of major 40 ammo with titegroup through his glock too....you shouild be ok with titegroup

Thats what I was thinking, but just wanted a more experienced opinion! :D

The life of your barrel - using *any* powder - is going to depend directly upon how well you treat it. If you go to the range and burn through 300 rounds in half an hour, you're going to wear the barrel more than doing 300 rounds in two hours. Doesn't matter which gun or load or whatever. The retained heat in the various parts will tend to accelerate wear.

That said - Titegroup does seem to heat things up more, and more quickly, than other powders I've shot in my .40. In theory, more heat == more wear. But, in the normal course of drills, taping targets, reloading mags, etc, you should have plenty of time for things to cool off between strings, etc. If the gun's constantly hot to the touch on the slide, consider letting it cool off a bit more through your practice sessions. You shouldn't have any problem, if you just treat the gun with a reasonable amount of care...

If you go to the range and burn through 300 rounds in half an hour, you're going to wear the barrel more than doing 300 rounds in two hours. Doesn't matter which gun or load or whatever. The retained heat in the various parts will tend to accelerate wear.

Yup. I always take out at least 2 guns and switch between them. Besides that, I'll tape, brass, and contemplate on why I suck, to help them cool down as much as possible between drills/strings.

I think XRe summed it pretty well.... but just in case, I am thinking of installing the new "Tacti-Cool" thermal injected nitro burning super duper water cooled titanium barrel with external water pump to use with my TG loads. :P

Over the last 5 years I have sent well over 60K rd of 158 grain CPRN bullets down the 4" barrel of my 1963 Model 19-3 using a 4.4 gr Titegroup charge. To this day that load and gun will hold a 3" group off-hand at 30 yd.