Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Hand Hurts Like Hell!

Nemo

Read about it HERE.

Have you experienced anything like this? This is the first time anything else, other than my ego, has hurt so bad after shooting.

Do I need to go back to shooting bullseye?

Edited by Nemo

I have had a similar experience. Overuse, repetetive motion, and other stress. Treat it as you are and find ways to move tasks to the other hand and/or reduce stress on the injured wrist.

I moved my mouse to the left side of my keyboard at work for example. You might consider roller handles (if you don't already have them) and working up a left-handed loading arrangement on your Dillons. Your loaders will work on the left corner of your loading bench and pistol calibers don't take much force.

Go to the drug store and buy one of those cheap wrist braces to immobilize it for a couple of weeks until the swelling and pain goes down. Then build back up gradually.

Look for ways at home and work to swap tasks to the weak-handed side. Shoot the next couple of matches "weak-handed" for fun. Make the best of it.

I sucks getting old, but it sure beats the second choice. <_<

Nemo, go see your chiropractor. You also need to find someone that can find the nerve bundles that control the areas you are having problems with to release them. They can give you a regimine to use including ice and ibuprofen. Once you are healed up your doc or chiro should give you some exercises to strengthen your "weak" areas to keep this from happening again. Making sure you are hydrated well will also help.

Now, I would also suggest that if you arent using case lube to start using it along with a Roller handle. Everything you describe sounds like it is related to loading ammo quickly without warming up or taking enough of a break. I dont know what you are loading on, but I would suggest if possible loading ahead this winter in smaller batches so you dont have to do a marathon session before a match. This might be the excuse you need to upgrade to a 1050, esp. loading for the boys.... ;) With case lube it is like butter compared to a SDB or 550, especially not having to push in hard to seat the primers.

Good luck, and no, I am not a doc or chiro....but I did drive through a Holiday Inn Express parking lot at work last night..... :) and have experienced this after loading a bunch of 38 specials without case lube.....

DougC

Nemo, +1 on what Waltermitty suggests. I use the wrist for tennis elbow and been using a elastic knee brace for my elbow. I use it mostly for sympathy but I get none with this group. :lol:

Nemo,

Just so I have the math right between your boys ammo and you, it was a 1000rds for Thursday, on a 650 and 550. Simple solution, Boys want to shoot, they load their own. For being the greatest Dad in the world and taking your Boys shooting. They Load your ammo. I bet it makes your hand feel better already :D

Thanx guys! There's sympathy after all, Bubber. :D

Doug, I'll try to get to the chiro soon and tomorrow I'll stop at walgreens for my braces and more ibu. I load 40's in a 650 and 45's in a 550.

Roller handles: CHECK

Case lube: CHECK

Having the boys load the ammo: They spill more powder than what I can pay on a government salary, Luke. They do all the case gage and they are also my primer tube fillers.

Jaxshooter, at your age there's no pain... you're already a corpse ;)

Just kidding Chris

Did you know there are still some practicing chiropractors out there who don't even hold a high school diploma? In years past, chiropractic schools admitted students who had literally flunked out of high school.

Today, it's a little different. In order to be admitted into the chiropractic programs (A.S.C.T., C.C.A. and C.O.A.) at the Palmer School in Davenport (still the nation's largest chiropractic school) you need to have the following incredibly rigorous academic credentials:

High school diploma or equivalent with a cumulative grade point average of 2.00.

Minimum one year of high school English composition with a grade average of C.

Minimum one year of high school general math with a grade average of C.

Minimum one year of high school general science with a grade average of C.*

Minimum one year of high school biology with a grade point average of C, taken within the last five years prior to enrollment, or concurrent enrollment in Fundamentals of Biology* and Anatomy and Physiology I*.

(*Does not apply to C.O.A. program.)

[source: http://www.palmer.edu/PCC_Academics/CT/AssocApplication.htm]

That's who's going to be wrenching on your neck, telling you they can cure everything from colds to cancer.

Sorry, but I'll pass.

Edited by Carmoney

Thanx Walt!

It sucks getting old, but it sure beats the second choice. <_<

You've been talking to my kids... have you?

B)

Your kids, my kids, other people's kids; they all think it's pretty funny till they roll out of bed one morning and have to "warm up" to get to the bathroom.

Youth is wasted on the young. <_<

I'll have to chime in on the chiropractor issue, I don't think they have much to offer, but I don't let anybody work on me without close, direct supervision. A visit to your M.D. wouldn't be a bad idea, but make them explain what they are treating and how they are treating it.

What you'll probably hear from all of them is that you have to manage the inflammation, avoid further injury, and pace yourself a little. B)

Edited by Waltermitty

:o Wow! Thanx Mike. I've never been to a chiropractor and definitely didn't know anything about the requirements to become one. Will have to look at this in more detail.

A visit to your M.D. wouldn't be a bad idea, but make them explain what they are treating and how they are treating it.

What you'll probably hear from all of them is that you have to manage the inflammation, avoid further injury, and pace yourself a little. B)

That's what I thought. Thanks Doc!

(I gotta stop being so pushy with my viewpoints.....sorry guys, it's kind of an occupational hazard.....)

Nemo, it will get better.

Here's another idea.....Dillon 1050. Aren't they supposed to be way easier on the arms to operate? Everything, including the priming operation is down on the downstroke. I keep thinking I need one every time I load a few hundred rounds on one of my SDBs and my right arm feels twingy.

Yea Mike, not everyone has a Masters Degree in Dremology, you did say you delivered a litter of kittens with it once. So I have to assume :lol: you do most of your own surgical work? Hope my wife never reads this, she'll never want to go to a doctor again (I have 2 Dremels, just no quakin' Degree).

BTW my arm hurt more when shooting Open in the '90's than it does now. But my hand gets tired after a 36+ round course!

Gather up the spilled powder, weigh, deduct 10x the round count from the next practice session. When they see "you" shoot and not them, for a known reason maybe they won't spill your hard earned powder. I got docked mucho casholo when a as a kid I left the water running for the livestock. I double check all water faucets to this day!

I love all the advice.

It's like I posted the the info, "My gun jams", and everyone posts a different fix without getting more info.

The first step is to make a diagnosis! This typically requires a histyory/physical exam. Maybe additional diagnostic studies. The differential includes arthritis, tendinitis (DeQuervain's), CTS (unlikely), scapholunate dissociation, etc.

Bottom line is if the pain persists longer than your run of mill ache or pain, you need to have it checked out. I would suggest having it checked out by someone who knows the anatomy (shameless plug for Orthopedic/Hand Surgeon). If your chiropractor can list the six extensor compartments of the wrist and their respective tendons, you're probably in good hands. Heck, if he can name all eight carpal bones you are probably in good hands. If, however, he says a nerve bundle is blocking your chi, get ready for psychic surgery or its equivalent.

Hope you get well soon.

+1 on the reloading causing most of the problems.

During the early 80's, an east coast gunsmith got a bad rap that his .45 compensator design was causing several shooters to get tendonitus of the elbow. Turns out, the guys buying these comps also used 550's to load on and they were all shooting a large volume.

The hand pain is mostly from the upstroke pressure to seat the primers. Getting roller handle or better yet a 1050 to load on will ease that problem. That is however, you get it healthy first. Rest and anti-inflamitory medicine will help. I've had my elbow operated 4 years ago and finally feel better. Take it from someone who's been there, DO NOT GO RIGHT BACK TO LOADING AS SOON AS YOU FEEL BETTER. It will come back even worse.

1. Stretching before you load or shoot is a big help. See a physical therapist for details.

2. No matter what press you load on, too much repetitive motion will do harm.

3. Load and shoot in small doses. 2 hour loading sessions are the worst. Leave the

machine set up and load 100 each time you walk by it. From your description, you pull

the handle while your kids load the primer tubes..... your arm in never getting a brake.

Yea Mike, not everyone has a Masters Degree in Dremology, you did say you delivered a litter of kittens with it once. So I have to assume :lol: you do most of your own surgical work?

Actually, if it turns out Nemo simply needs some ligaments released in his wrist, a fiber cut-off wheel will do the trick nicely, and with the right amount of pressure, will cauterize as you go. Polish off the bone burrs with a fine sanding drum and a cratex tip, close with some red loc-tite, he should be good to go.

Yea Mike, not everyone has a Masters Degree in Dremology, you did say you delivered a litter of kittens with it once. So I have to assume :lol: you do most of your own surgical work?

Actually, if it turns out Nemo simply needs some ligaments released in his wrist, a fiber cut-off wheel will do the trick nicely, and with the right amount of pressure, will cauterize as you go. Polish off the bone burrs with a fine sanding drum and a cratex tip, close with some red loc-tite, he should be good to go.

I may never touch my dremel tool again. :o

Mike and his Dremel are always good for a 10 minute laughing fit. :P:P:P

But, where's the discalimer, Nemo don't try this yourself! Dr. Dremel and his assistant El Conquistador would probably make a house call in February for the right "Refreshments, er... enticements.

Sounds like you need to start with a long holiday break, maybe the bahamas. Wait you already live in a sunny climate. Boy, you do have it bad. You can't ever get away.

scapholunate dissociation

What? I thought that is what's wrong with Cliff's brain! :lol:

Thank you very much for all the advice. I will definitely try not to ever again load all the match ammo the day before. Unless, like this time, I realize that I don't have enough bullets and have to make a last minute order.

Of all the suggestions I like the 1050 better than the others, but don't see it happening any time soon. The boys keep getting better and better at the 650, so hopefully in the near future I won't have to do all the work.

Carmoney and Cliff working on my wrist with a dremel... :unsure: I won't even stay in the same match hotel if they have one of those with them! ;)

I can't prove it, but I think Mike carries a portable foot generator (in his heel) and an older pocket Dremel, just for emergencies. If you're still suffering next big match, you might be careful of falling asleep, anywhere.

Silverssociation, an unquenchable lust for the famed Silver Bullet.