Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cold And Hot Weather Bullets

packed

Cold weather.

That's why you wouldn't want to chrono your 165 PF load in the summer at 95 degrees and then show up to a major match when it's 35 degrees. Welcome to minor!

Thanks JFD that tells me what I want to know.

If my memory is correct, a few Winchester powders had a negative correlation. Maybe 571 or 452? As the temps got colder they went faster. Build a load in summer and blow up your gun in the winter.

From my limited experience TiteGroup loads get slower as the temp goes up and Clays loads get faster as the temp increases.

I would just chrono my powder of choice in as many conditions as possible, not that I don't trust advice here but I want to KNOW going to chrono that all is well.

From my limited experience TiteGroup loads get slower as the temp goes up and Clays loads get faster as the temp increases.

I would just chrono my powder of choice in as many conditions as possible, not that I don't trust advice here but I want to KNOW going to chrono that all is well.

Yep your right I suppose. I bought a chrono about 3 months ago and never used it yet. O well maybe time I do.

In my experience, WST seems to increase in velocity as temp decreases. This is the only powder I have used which seems to do this. My other powders appear to increase in velocity as temp increases.

Chrono to be sure.

Kindest Regards,

bk

Edited by big_kahuna

YMMV but my experience with Clays in .45 was that it's slower when it's cold. When I used to shoot .45, I started adding 0.1gr of Clays for my winter match ammo. I went minor(168pf) one year at a Level 3 match when my rounds were chronoed in a uninsulated room.