Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

South Texas Treasure Chest

Malak

Well, this was by far the most shrimp that has been in our house. All those shrimp have been deheaded and deveined... That 96quart ice chest is pretty much full with shrimp, like 95%shrimp and 5%ice. It started as TWO full 96quart icechests, and after deheading, about 150-200pounds of cleaned 'pink gold'

(One of my best friends is mari-culture masters student at A&M CC, and his 'crop' was mature, and his raceway tanks need to be cleaned, so we got about 20% of his science project :D )

needless to say, everyone I know is getting freezer vacuum packed shrimp for Christmas.

I hope my cholesterol does not go up too much...

post-8630-1161063281.gif

Wow, now all you need is a few other things and it'll be perfect.

Try boiling some shrimp and then chilling it.

Add diced tomatoes, onions, cilantro, jalapenos, cocktail sauce, lots of fresh lime juice and tabasco sauce and you have the makings of some Mexican shrimp cocktail. Top it off with a little chopped avoacado if you like.

Edited by GeneralChang

Here's another:

Take a 2 pounds of shrimp and place them in a shallow baking dish. Add olive oil and the juice of 3-4 lemons and 5-6 chopped garlic cloves. Sprinkle lightly with fresh cracked pepper and salt. Bake at 350 until done. Set aside.

Boil 1 lb rotini pasta and set aside. Quarter about 4-5 Roma tomatoes. Rinse a large handful of spinach (if you can find it). Mix everything together and toss in some freshly grated parmesan cheese or even some manchego cheese. Also add a handful of pistachios for a nice change of texture. Enjoy

Edited by GeneralChang

Yep, I know what that is like..have some friends and about once a yr we make a boat purchase...buy the entire load from a special shrimping captain we know...He calls us when he gets the big ones, 10-13 per lb and then we go down...Not as good as free, but for 3.10 a lb heads on I bought a 100 lbs and ended up with almost 75 lbs of shrimp...freeze em up a lb or two per ziplock in some tap water and you are good to go...

Changs recipe is great but we do it like this..Juice of 6 lemons, and slice three more to add to the shrimp, half pound butter melted, 6 garlic cloves diced fine, 2 T spoons of Lea & Perrins, half dozen shakes of tabasco, and lots of cracked black pepper and 1.5 cups of good white wine...bake till the shrimp are pink...eat with a salad and a loaf of crusty French bread to sop up the juice, drink the rest of the wine you opened and you are done..oh and BTW, cook them with the shell on...peal and eat...need some paper towels to mop your face with...

or grill some outside...wrap them with half a piece of bacon and turn them after 1.5 minutes...wonderful as a warm up to dinner

or sautee some in some shallots, garlic, butter, white wine, and serve over pasta with some parsley and parmesean cheese...Heaven...

or add some scallops, lump crab meat, cilentro, garlic, lime juice, couple shakes of tabasco, and half a can of V8 juice and marinate for 1 hour...spoon out into ice cream sundae dishes top with some avacado and serve with chips and icy beer...

guess those are my best 3 or 4... :lol::P:D

Edited by tightloop

A big boiling pot with 10-15 gal of water

As much Rex or Zatarains (sp) Crab Boil as the lable says

A bottle of Louisiana Hot Sauce

2-3 lemmons

Boil the water, add the crab boil and hot sauce. When the water boils, squeeze in the lemmons and throw them in the water then add the shrimp. Cook for about 3 mins then stop the cooking by adding ice and more seasoning. Let them set for at least half an hour in the water.

Strain and eat with your favorite coctail sauce - the more horseradish the better for me. That, a cooler of your favorite, a bunch of friends and a couple of rolls of paper towels. The shrimp will be warm when you eat them, which is a bit strange at first if you're not used to eating them that way. But, I prefer them that way as opposed to cold cocktail shrimp.

Da cajuns here will say you need to add things like red potatoes, corn on the cob, onions, garlic and mushrooms to the boil. That's good and tasty (especially shrooms that have been sitting in boil water - OMG!), but why take up all of that space in the ol stomach with sides when it can be shrimp instead.

I don't miss much about Louisiana, but the ability to run down to the fish market and pick up a couple of lbs of big (12-16 ct) shrmp for $3.50/lb at any time is one of the things I do miss. Yummy.

Or another one...butterfly them stuff them with lump crab and gently fry till golden brown...or cut a jalapeno pepper in half long ways take out the seeds and stuff with a mixture of crab and cream cheese onion powder garlic and cilantro and place shrimp in middle of the two halves and toothpick together and grill till done and cheese is melted...WALA..shrimp poppers...

or heck, just do like Big Dave says, boil up a bunch and eat em either warm or cold...shrimp are the best ...I eat a couple pounds each week in one fashion or the other...simply my fav sea food...or ...make up a big pot of gumbo..remember it is all in the roux...then the way we do it is to add 25 lbs of shrimp, 7 lbs of crab, 3.5 lbs of flounder filets cubed...and as much okra as you like...serve over rice with plenty of cold beer...better the next day...and fun to have as you have some friends over to watch the big game on the big screen tv...

Making me really hungry... :D

Bubba: Anyway, like I was sayin', shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, sautee it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it.

Ceviche

Get a big bottle of lemon and a bottle of lime juice. Mix both juices in a pot and dump the raw shrimp in. Refrigerate for 12 hours (the citris juice cooks the shrimp). Add coarsely chopped tomatoes, red peppers, cilantro, and cucumbers. Refrigerate another 2-4 hours.

Eat with tortilla chips, and Tapatio hot sauce, and chunked avocado. Wash it down with a good Mexican beer like Bohemia or Modelo Dark.

The BEST BBQ shrimp recipe that I have ever eaten is from Pascal's Manale in New Orleans right off St. Charles street...they are the ones who invented the shrimp in Butter and lemon and pepper...

Damn, it is good...

Update: Cholesterol is up about 20%, the boil pot was great, BBQ shrimp was a little over done (will reduce heat next time), the gumbo was great (we put ours over Stove Top corn bread stuffing, instead of plain rice, which is fabulous).

Anyone have a good batter recipe for deep fried?