Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trying To Decide Which Gun To Shoot At A Match

John Thompson

With me, it usually ends up being whichever gun I happen to have ammo loaded for! :lol: Hard to find time to get my reloading done lately. I end up shooting Production with the G17 and cheapo factory ammo from Academy a lot. Also hard to find time to clean guns and I know the Glock will run dirty - ain't so sure about the 2011 or 1911! :P

Here's what runs through my head:

I should shoot the limited gun, I bought it for the gun games. But wait I should shoot production because I don't practice enough anymore and it would have the most effect on my shooting at work. Ok but which production gun do I shoot? The M&P or the 5906? The M&P matches the gun I carry but the 5906 shoots better. Then again my Kimber hasn't been shot in a while and were going .45 at work so I'll get new grips and show it around. But my Limited gun is the pimp daddy and I want to look cool. I got a lot of lead .45's to shoot up. I have even more 135gr .40's to get rid of AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!

After all that my next obsession is what I'm gonna wear to the match.

Going with what I have ammo loaded for is always a good first bet for me. With the displacement to the east coast, it's factory ammo and a Glock 99.9% of the time (Thank you Chris Pattty of CPWSA!) 'til I get back from Afghanistan.

That being said, this is the exact reason to own a 1050. You can wake up the morning before the match and load about 300 rounds in around 15 minutes. If you're like me and had your girlfriend living with you, she can drive while I'm case gauging ammo with a high speed pass through Mickey D's for breakfast.

As for the attire...hmmm....what do I usually wear.....survey says = shorts and a wow a shooting related t-shirt, white socks and my infamous sandles (until switching to the Sharks).

As stated before...when in doubt go with what you have ammo for.

Rich

(I'm with you though on shooting bullets you need to get rid of, but then that's what practice is for)

I would probably go with the one that is the most reliable, my 40 cal SVI limited gun.

.... or maybe the one that I shoot the best, again my SVI.

.... or possibly the one that generally has the most loaded ammo on hand, you guessed it, SVI.

.... or I could pick the most accurate, SVI.

Decisions, decisions.

Shoot your SVI! :wub:

If you don't have one, cash in your life insurance and get one...... Hurry!

Tls

Hey, I'm having the same problems deciding which shotgun to use in a shotgun only match.

If I go stock auto I have a new Benelli M2 with 28 inch barrel and 9 shot mag tube or an old M1 121 20 inch barrel and 7 shot mag tube.

If I go stock pump I have a Benelli Nova with 9 shot tube or Winchester M12 Riot. I'm not going to even be close to winning no matter what I use so I've been thinking about using the M12 just for the coolness factor.

Well, since I keep about 5K loaded rounds for each gun I can't go by that. I sometimes spend the whole week between matches trying to decide. I once shot 5 different matches in the same month with 5 different guns in four different divisions. Now with single stack, I have two more guns to choose from. I tried to say that I'd shoot one gun for the entire year, but that was just so hard I gave up on that idea. Maybe I can stay with open for next year. I don't know, guns were made to shoot, not sit in the safe. If you figure out how to solve this let me know. And no, selling a gun is not an option.

The clothes thing was a bit tongue and cheek but I do try to wear the clothes I look best in; clothes that say somehting about my shooting. Did I wear this Blackwater tee shirt last week or should I wear the BE tee shirt?

Edited by John Thompson