Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pact Mkiv Vs. Ced 7000

Dave B

As a timer for match use, I prefer the CED. The MkIV's are battery hogs. It's not the money as much as the inconvenience of having it croak during a match. I'm probably going to drop the dime on a pair of CED's and RF readerboards just to make scoring our monthly steel matches easier.

For personal training, the CED 7000 is perfect. The size, battery life, bells and whistles are everything I need to train. For a match, I don't know. Consider getting the belt clip attachment after you try the timer. I use the neck strap only without problem.

Thanks

The PACT is the all-in-one swiss-army-knife of timers-- chrono, timer, USB ports, 256 string memory, etc, etc. Because of that it's a little big and bulky, but it can do anything.

The CED 7000 is a great little timer, but doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the PACT.

I've got both. They both get used, depending on the task and I wouldn't be too put out if I didn't have one or the other, especially since I have a separate chrono.

• 2 months later...

Dave,

I have used the Pact for sometime, and just recently got the CED 7000.

Strictly from a personal training tool, the CED it fantastic. I think it is much easier to read the data after a string. Heck it displays 5 pieces of information at a time, on the screen. For my money I am happy as a clam with the 7000 over the Pact.

Heck it even has an alarm clock, to tell me to quit having fun, and go back home to my wife. :lol:

I will admit that Pact is a standup piece of equipment, and they have excellent tech help if you ever do have a problem. I use mine in a very sandy environment on a greater than weekly basis and it is still going after over 5 years.

why not the CED 8000 it is great and my new favorite timer

I have a 16 year old Pack III it is nice and the crono is nice

But the 8000 will review back 10 strings so you can check past runs all at one time.

Great for practice

The CED 7000 also retains the last 10 strings, FYI. I have a Pact MkIV XP and I'm thinking of ditching it for the CED 7000. The small size of the 7000 really appeals to me and I have continual issues with the Pact turning itself on and draining the battery.

I was willing to live with the HUGE Pact but the irksome little things are piling up, if you're shopping for a top-dollar timer I don't think you should have to make this many allowances. The Pact is HUGE, the chrono is way too picky, the timer turns on way too easily (and the batteries die), the chrono drains the batteries in 1 hour unless you remember to unplug the cables after every string. I feel like I'm living my life at the range around this timer and not in a pleasant way.

I have three different timers,

RUready the little yellow box

PACT 2

CED 7000

of these the only one I have never had a problem with is the RUready. The Pact gets upset if the weather is warm, the screen goes balck,and the CED7000 is a POS! The back light went out, burned in images, all this after only two month of use. Buyer beware.