Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Model 31 For Production?

LakeshoreShooter

Has anyone out there used a Glock model 31 357 Sig for production? I recently traded my Model 35 for a Springfield Trophy Match in .40 S&W(plus a couple bucks of course...) and the only legal Production gun I have left is this new M-31 I bought last week. I bought the 31 for Carry purposes, but I have to complete one more classifier this yaer to get a Classification in production. I am currently "U" in all divisions and to my knowledge you have to complete 4 classifiers in one class before moving to others. Any wisdom on the 357 sig for production? I will probably switch to single stack after this(hence the Springy), just stuck for now. Thanks,

Paul

(a) To my knowledge, you do NOT have to complete 4 classifiers in one division before switching to another. You need 4 classifier scores in 1 division before you receive a classification in that division, but you do not need to shoot your first four classifiers in the same div. Thus, you could shoot your single stack for the next 4 matches and get a classification in SS. Caveat - I've been wrong before.

(B) Glock 31 would be great in production, especially if you downloaded the .357Sig to minor PF.

Cheers,

-br

I use my G31 in production. I have adjusted the trigger some, and downloaded to 130 PF. This did require a drop in recoil spring weight for reliable cycling of the slide. I think I dropped it to 12 lbs, but it might have been less.

You can shoot other divisions any time you want. You just won't be classified until you have at least 4 classifiers per division. The G31 probably isn't the best choice for Production unless you can reload some light loads as Tman said. But if that's all you've got... Just be sure to select a couple of people on your squad to keep track of your brass as you shoot. Spendy stuff I'm sure.

Shoot it for the fourth classifier, pick up a nice used 17 or 22 if you handload and use it in Production in the future. I can't see any reason to put up with the recoil, blast, and ammo costs of a 31 in Production for any length of time.

If you don't reload, why not look into purchasing a conversion barrel and a 9mm extractor? You'd save money on ammo, and be able to practice more at a fraction of the cost.

Or simply buy a .40 SW barrell and matched recoil spring. You should not have to change the extractor. You will gain a backup to your match gun in L10 or Ltd div to your Springfield.

You will need to check the rulebooks for whether this type of caliber change is allowed in Production Div.

Hmmmm. Thanks for the heads up on the caliber approval in Pro. for the sig rond!! Didn't consider that? Can anybody back-up Wideload on the extractor? I'm pretty sure the .40 and 357 sig share the same 17lb. recoil spring. So, would it be as simple as Slipping in a .40 barrel and call it good?? I've got 5 or 6 different spring/rod setups for my old M-35. Guess the extractor switch is my only question??

The 357 Sig is fine for production. The G31 is on the USPSA approved list of production handguns. So you can shoot it as 357 Sig or you can swap the barrel for 40. The G31 and G22 are basicallly identical except for barrels. Extractor is the same, recoil spring the same, frame the same, etc.

If you reload, I think you would like the 357 Sig as a downloaded round. You will most likely need to get a new guidrod and spring set. I went with a non-captured SS rod, and I think 12 lb spring, but it may have been 13.5 lb. I do remember I tried 2 or 3 to find the right one.

Either way 357 or 40 you will be fine in production.