Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fundamentals

leam

So I'm talking to BE on the phone and in retrospect my question was unfair. His book has gotten great reviews and I ordered it, but I asked if it would be over my head. Since he's never met me, much less seen me shoot, it's kinda a dumb question.

I have been shooting all of a month now. I can make the holes in the target if I shoot very slow but I really don't see the front site the moment the shot breaks or for a moment or so afterwards. Having read some of the notes here I'm wondering what are the fundamentals and how do you get them right?

A broad question, but this place seems the most likely to have a good answer.

ciao!

leam

The beauty of the book is that at each level you progress, the material will become clearer. You've heard the adage: when the student is ready, the teacher will appear....... that's the way the book works. Skim it, read it, re-read it......... repeat as necessary. :)

-Mike

Grip grip grip grip grip grip grip grip grip etc.

I'll share one of my favorite stories with you guys. My best friend from childhood is a great golfer, nearly went pro. He still maintains about a 1 handicap. I've always had a pretty good swing, but was never serious enough to become better than a 12 or so.

One day he was wandering by, and I asked him, "Hey, I'm having some problems with my backswing on the short irons, you think you could take a look and tell me what I'm doing wrong?" He didn't say anything, he just took a club and started swinging slowly, describing each part of the swing.

I was taken aback. "Don't you want to see me swing?" I asked.

"No." He said. "There's only one right way to do it."

---------------------------------

One of the more profound things I've ever been told. The grip, so far, is the biggest part of the game for me. Work on it, strengthen your weak hand, cam it forward, and hit it out of the holster every time. If you can do that, you've got this game beaten 90%.

H.

Based on your post I wasn't too far ahead of you if at all when I started. I picked up BE's book almost immediately after finding this forum and personally thought it was a great help. As Mike and Chris stated it's as if the book evolves with you as you progress. I took mostly the basic things away from it the first time I read it. Now, a little over 2 years later, I have a better understanding of the sport as a whole and I take more away from the more advanced methods/concepts that are described. Definitely not a book that you read once, it holds its value as your skills evolve.

One of the more profound things I've ever been told. The grip, so far, is the biggest part of the game for me. Work on it, strengthen your weak hand, cam it forward, and hit it out of the holster every time. If you can do that, you've got this game beaten 90%.

What does "cam it forward" mean?

ciao!

leam

What does "cam it forward" mean?

ciao!

leam

While gripping your strong hand, extend your weak hand so that the wrist nears locking, like you had just finished casting a fishing rod. This gives the greatest strength to the wrist.

H.

Todd Jarrets grip video would be good here. I don't remember which forum it was posted in and I don't know how to link it but I'm sure someone out there does. ;)

This one?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4...andgun++lessons

Mas Ayoob's book "Combat Handunery (5th Ed )" talks about the thumbs. MA recommends thumbs down while TJ says pointing that the target. They also differ on part of the trigger finger to use. MA says joint, TJ says pad. Stuff to try and see what works best.

Stuff to put in the notebook...

ciao!

leam

Well, wrote down some notes from TJ's video and tried them out. Can't say it hurt my shooting at all but then again, I can't say it made drastic improvement. I'm still so new that hitting the 5"x8" piece of paper at 15-25 yards is "good". The main focus this evening was the thumb position and trying to use the more pad of finger than joint.

For fun my last bit of shooting was holstered from under my hawaiian shirt. Someone's sig line had a quote from BE about shooting when the sights were pointed at the target. So I tried that from a draw. New skills for me and I wasn't doing anything fast but just relaxing and having fun. I'm hoping to qualify for IDPA Marksman in the spring and things seem to be moving forward.

ciao!

leam

• 2 weeks later...