Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Registry / Dll Pollution

EricW

I know that supposed "registry cleaners" are sold. But do they work? What about sweeping out all the garbage DLL's?

I'd love to get away from the annual to semi-annual Windows OS reinstall (because it's the only way to get rid of the junk).

Thoughts...?

BTW, the link provided is just an advertisement page. All of the links are "affiliate" trackers that pay the site for pushing clicks. I would look elsewhere for info on software.

Also I've never found a registry cleaner that was worth a darn. Most are the fastest way to an unstable system.

I've had a lot fewer registry issues in XP Pro than earlier versions of Windows like the 95/98/Me series. What are you seeing that makes you want a registry cleaner?

Edited by vincent

What are you seeing that makes you want a registry cleaner?

Well... among others:

Speed

Reliability

The inability/refusal of software to fully remove itself upon uninstallation (which ought to be a felony)

I've never really had an OS go for more than about a year before having serious issues. XP or otherwise. The only fix seems to be a format and fresh OS install. Which I absolutely HATE. It generally takes me about a week of nights to get my system back to where it was.

Oh well...

Edited by EricW

I still go the way Eric's talking about. I install/uninstall so much crap and Alpha/Beta software - the systems will just about die - 12 months is pushing it.

My wifes - runs 100% - until we get new hardware - she's just not mucking with it.

There was a nice software Product called AlhoaBob - that would save off ALL your settings and let you select what software to keep, etc... save this image of to a file or transfer to another system... worked great, and it was dirt cheap. Gave me the best optins - cleared out the crap, and didn't need to re-install and configure everything.

Maybe see if you can find an old copy on Ebay - it's a strech, but it works pretty well.

Microsoft bought them out - and includes a minor version with XP. :(

One thing I think is a lifesaver is Norton Ghost. Load your system with everything you want, run Norton ghost and take an image of your machine. Break up the image among DVD's and you have a fresh load based on your system ready in case something corrupts or if you lose a HD with your OS on it. When I lost my HD, I re-imaged to a copy I'd had. I didn't have everything on it, but I had most of my neccesary software loaded already.

Vince

I'm fairly rough on my systems from the stand point of installing stuff and removing it. I find that keeping track of whats is running on your machine is the most efficient way to keep it alive. I use Windows Defender (which I think its is better then then spybot and adaware which is what I used to use), Startup Panel and Startup Monitor, Zone Alarm as a firewall (though all my machines are also behind hardware firewalls). I'm running 2000 and XP. The only times I do reinstalls is when I burn out a drive, heck Raz-0 yells at me because half the time I won't reinstall even when I upgrade my CPU, MB, and drive. I'm sure he is right as that being a bad idea but so far I've been lucky I guess.

Of course .. video drivers are my bane, I'm think I'm cursed with that.