Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti Edge Magazines

ghost1

I have an enhanced Edge and the slide does not lock back on last shot.

After talking to the gunsmith who built the pistol up, he said that it was done that way on purpose, to stop the slide locking back with one round in the mag. I was wondering wether anyone else has this setup and what are the pros and cons?

I personally have always had the slide lock back function in service on my other pistols.

Question is, should I leave it as is or revert back to locking back? Would it have to go back to the gunsmith or is it easy enough to do? If so any diagrams or info available out ther?

For an IPSC gun, not locking back is fine, even requested by some people to avoid the early-lockback problem. You can have both locking back and 100% reliable, but it takes some tweaking of the gun and the loads by either a good smith or a lot of trial and error.

I like mine to not lock back so I don't over insert a mag in the heat of the moment which could lead to a broken ejector and/or a mag stuck so tightly it needs pounded out which is not fun.

Exactly.

Bob at Brazos Custom wrote an article on this with pics. If you want more info, go to his website and click on the magazine articles.

Easy thing to remedy, and cheap too.

Obtain and fit an additional slide stop if the lobe was ground off, and exchange/replace as the moment requires. (Kind of best of two worlds!) If the "not locking" feature was accomplished by installing extra shock-buffs in the guide rod, then remove some untill it locks.

It is unlikely that your 'smith messed around with the mag followers.

Locking back with one round left in the mag was an either and or problem, Followers and or slide stop.

Set it up the way you want it and its not a hard fix.

Like said new slide stop, check the clerence with mag, follwer and bullets. Tune as required or you may just have to change the mag followers.