Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benchmark 55 Grain .223 Ammo?

revchuck

Folks - I've broken down and put an AR (A2 style) on layaway. It's got an FN military barrel with the standard 1-7 twist. I plan on loading my own ammo for it, but would like to know what you recommend in factory ammo to give me a benchmark for how well the gun shoots, so I know how hard to work - and when to stop ;) - in my load development.

Going off on a tangent, how much of a zero change is there between 55 grain and heavy (68-75 grain) bullets?

Thanks!

3 gun as a sport generally requires no more than 2 minutes of accuracy. although we as shooters are always wanting better, to much better.

do you plan on shooting irons or optics? an iron gun that shoots at the most 3 minutes of angle is acceptable, it works out to 9" at 300yds, although sometimes, rarely stage designers will place 8" targets at that distance. my iron sight gun with me shooting it will deliver 2MOA, routinely out to 400yds+.

55gr. federal xm193, with optics will deliver 1MOA to 1.5MOA out to 300yds, from my optic rifle, with a 3.5x scope. this is more than adequate for our purposes. with a twist of 1 in 7, you might not get the accuracy from 55gr bullets, some folks have problems. if so try 60 or 62gr bullets, my normal load is federal 62gr fmj eagle, and it shoots well within our sports requirements, from my guns.

hope this helps.........Trapr

+1 on the Federal GMM topped with an SMK 69. It is MOA or better in any AR I have shot it in.

There will be an appreciable POI difference at distance from 55gr to 69 and heavier projectiles. There will be almost no difference at 60 yards and under.

If I sight in my JP CTR-02 with SMK 77's at 200 yards and start throwing 55's at a 10" steel plate at that same distance I will hit it, but the rounds are impacting near the top of the plate when my hold is centered. Call this about a 3-4" POI difference at that distance.

+1 on the Federal GMM topped with an SMK 69. It is MOA or better in any AR I have shot it in.

There will be an appreciable POI difference at distance from 55gr to 69 and heavier projectiles. There will be almost no difference at 60 yards and under.

If I sight in my JP CTR-02 with SMK 77's at 200 yards and start throwing 55's at a 10" steel plate at that same distance I will hit it, but the rounds are impacting near the top of the plate when my hold is centered. Call this about a 3-4" POI difference at that distance.

I'm in agreement wit all dat.

If you are truely looking for a benchmark 55 gr, I have found the Federal American Eagle PN AE223 to be very accurate at 100 yds. That is, out of my stick, < 1" @ 100yds. It is a SS barrel in HBAR profile, 20". I think it be a Wilson but not 100% sure.

hey bronco.....thats funny!!!!

i just bought 1000rds 62jhp,.........DOOOUUUHHHH.

actually i use them for local matches and hoser stages so i can save my federal for big matches. the WOLF actually gives me <1.5" at a 100, and same POI as my federal 62's.

SO..... :P:P:P

trapr

Ultramax 55 grain Nosler ballistic tip remanufactured! Can be found almost everywhere and will be THE benchmark for 55 grain stuff! KURTM

+1 kurt-most accurate one in my gun by far, but they are REAL hard to find, especially out in the left coast. i have to buy by the case when i do, but it's the sh$tz. shhot that stuff all day, unless there's a LaRue...

Revchuck asked about the American Eagle 50 gr. HP's.

That's my duty ammo and I know they'll shoot 1 inch at 100 but I have no experience with them any farther.

Edited by BPiatt

revchuck, the AE 50gr HP's average out to just under 1moa out of my 20" 1in9 JP CTR-02, but then so does just about everything else. They were also about the same out of my 20" 1in9 Bushy. And shot about 1.5moa out of my 16" 1x9 DPMS.

I tried them in hopes of finding a low cost, available everywhere, ultimate tack driver. I'm still searching.

Reloading .223 is not my favorite past time but with the rising cost of even marginal ammo approching $200.00/1000 I have decided to reload even my hoser ammo. Picked up 3000 55 gr. Win. FMJ @ $45.00/1000 with powder and primers that would be around $120.00 per 1000 for decent quality ammo. You'll be able to find me in the reloading room.

Trapr, quit polluting the range brass pool with all that Wolf and Fed. brass. Keith

Edited by Bronco