Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Competition Die

packed

I had just bought a Redding competition die 40 cal. I have tried three different bullets and every bullet gets a different AOL. Nothing I through at this die is the same for the second one as the first. I tried to figure everything. I am going to return it to midway since it is no good to me for anything I reload. Anyone know of another comp die I might try? :(

I have tried three different manufactured bullets. Those moly coated, RNFP, and some round copper plated ones. This is all I use I cannot go changing my bullets over and beyond this just to make it work. I get varinces not worth loading. I think first this to a competition bullet is consistancy. This is the most inconsistant die I have every seen. Not to meantion the only one. I am disapointed with it. My shell plate is as tight as I can go before it stops turning. I have tried it alone and with others on the shell plate.

I love mine. What's the press? 550 and 650 will change OAL like shred sez. I shim my toolhead in place before attempting to set OAL, 0.003 difference in OAL if a round is not in each position. If your still not happy with the results, put it up for sale here. It won't last long. Try search on tips for the press you have. You are not the first to experience this.

I have an xl650 thank guys I am sad this thing don't work I mainly bought it for the dial to change fast and easy. I benched my gun I bought from benny hill at 40 yard and am shooting about 1" groups. I am so amazed. My shooting is about 50 percent better than with my xd. I wanted to play with aol's fast and easy. I suppose I will try and search. Thanks guys.

It sounds like the seater may no longer be attached to the spindle. I'd take a look at that and fix that if necessary. It's not rocket science or anything.

Install the die with the ram in the full up position. Turn the die down until it hits the shell plate. Back off the die 1/4 turn or until you can read the micrometer, which ever comes first. Lock the body of the die in place with the outer lockring. Zero the micrometer. Use the allen wrench through the center axis of the micrometer to set your desired OAL.

Done. From there on out you can adjust your baseline depth higher or lower depending on the bullet shape.

I'd buy yours just to have a spare, but the doggone things are bulletproof and never have any issues.

Edited by EricW

I have tried three different manufactured bullets. Those moly coated, RNFP, and some round copper plated ones. This is all I use I cannot go changing my bullets over and beyond this just to make it work. I get varinces not worth loading. I think first this to a competition bullet is consistancy. This is the most inconsistant die I have every seen. Not to meantion the only one. I am disapointed with it. My shell plate is as tight as I can go before it stops turning. I have tried it alone and with others on the shell plate.

I think once you shim your head andlose the low quality bullets your problems will be solved. Most plated bullets are horribly inconsistant look closely at them ...some noses round some slightlyflatted there is your OAL differance right there. That die is the best thing going. dont expect miracles from inconsistant projectiles. Get ahold of some JHP preferably Zero and then you will be able to dail the OAL the way you want. I load for a Benny Gun going back and forth from 165 grain to 180 grain and I dont even adjust the die the OAL stays the same with both projectiles. BTW did he not suggest you shoot JHP?

Measuring a bullet seated from an ogive reference diameter and measuring OAL can be frustrating at best. Measure the bullet where it is being seated, on the ogive, and I bet the die is seating them inside of .001". I have a couple of these dies, and without fail they seat the bullets dead consistent. OAL length measurements, depending on the bullet used, may vary by up to .015".

Just to not confuse anybody, this die will create rounds with different OALs if you use different bullets-- it's not a magic "Set the micrometer to 1.245 and any bullet I put on top of the case is going to end up at a 1.245 OAL"-- the die usually has to be readjusted between different size/shape/weight/brand bullets. If it stays the same, it's a lucky break (I have to tweak mine between 121 and 125 gr Hornady HAPs that I can't even tell apart by eye). The cool thing is it's so easy to dial up a different bullet once you make chart of what settings go with what bullet.

Stick with it. I love my redding comp seater. It is worth the setup learning curve. With montana gold jacketed or zero jacketed I get extremely consistent OALs round to round. I agree with others who have already commented that with moly or plated bullets you will see variation regardless of the die because the bullets vary so widely. Try some decent quality jacketed if you can.

Just to not confuse anybody, this die will create rounds with different OALs if you use different bullets-- it's not a magic "Set the micrometer to 1.245 and any bullet I put on top of the case is going to end up at a 1.245 OAL"-- the die usually has to be readjusted between different size/shape/weight/brand bullets. If it stays the same, it's a lucky break (I have to tweak mine between 121 and 125 gr Hornady HAPs that I can't even tell apart by eye). The cool thing is it's so easy to dial up a different bullet once you make chart of what settings go with what bullet.

I would think anybody know this. It is faster I am saying to change AOL

AOL provides internet service

OAL stands for Over All Length.

back on topic....that probably is the best seating die made...and like shred says, there is no magic die that loads everything the same length.

Harmon

Edited by Harmon