Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

setup for an 11-87

Flexmoney

My neighbor want to setup his 11-87 for 3-gun.

He has a deer (slug) barrel on it now.  What barrel and what length should he get?

What tube should he put on it?  I see them from Tac-star and Choate.  I don't think he wants the tube to stick out past the end of the barrel.

how much should these things cost?

If it's not a rifled barrel (there are two different slug barrels) he can use his existing barrel. I like Choate tubes and springs better than Tac Star.

Whether he wants to shoot Limited or Open may make a difference in what to get.

I like choate tubes also.  I agree w/ eric.  He needs to figure out if he wants to shoot limited or open or if they even have such categories in the matches that he is going to shoot in.

Nothing wrong w/ the tube sticking out past the barrel.  The shot or wad does not hit the tube even if it is quite a bit longer than the barrel.

As for limited or open...what is the difference?

I don't think it maters much here in Ohio.

I would like to get myself a good shotgun setup too.  Money is a big issue.  I have another buddy that has a synthetic 1100 that holds ten rounds.  Is that good enough?

Brownell's?  Natchez?  ???

As far as limited or open it would depend on preference for all three guns because any one being open will throw you into that class for the entire match, even if you shoot a limited pistol and rifle (at least that is how I understand it).  Open shotguns can have scopes and comps, and can hold 11 in the gun I believe.  I think limited is "limited" to 9 rounds in the gun.  

Kyle,

Walmart has a good deal going on 1100 syn 28" VR with one choke. I got mine for 320. Some people have found them from 369 down to 260. Throw on the +5 tube, an EZ loader gate, drill and tap for a dot, extended bolt handle, and speed loaders and a muzzle brake for less than the price of an 11-87 or Benelli. I shot the shotgun side match last weekend without a hitch.

Chriss,

I just went to Wally-world.  :)

No 1100's in the city.  The sporting goods manager called around for me.  A store not too far away has some synthetic 1100's for $328.  They are "in the back".  Probably some employees tucked them away waiting for the price to drop.

That sounds like the deal for me.

Bill,

You probably don't need it, but for 7 bucks it sure looks cool. Seriously it is a lot easier if you have to cycle the action to hit it than the factory. I like my Benelli but that's for limited. You shooting the 3 gun next weekend?

Kyle,

They have a thread going on TFL and people have been snatching them up. If they drop down around 250 like they are rumored to be going I might pick up a couple more!

Chriss,

I went to the Walmart that had two.  I now own them both.  I called a dozen different Walmarts in Ohio.  There is one Walmart that still has an 1100.  

Anyway,  back to setting them up...

Where do I get these Easy Loader Gates and how much do they cost?

And, where do I get a tube that will allow the gun to hold 11 rounds?  I find some that hold ten, but not eleven.

Kyle,

Bill is right. (damn I can't believe I said that) The EZ loader is by Dave's metal works, I have the Choate +5 tube. It gives 10+1 capacity, The speed tubes can be ordered from JTS guns (570)646-4764. He has a bunch in stock. For open get a muzzle brake Brownells has a bunch listed. I went with the Royal arms. I got the Brake but the threaded choke tubes which attach it to the gun are on back order! Brownells said they should be in this week. Brownells is good to deal with. If you a LE, Gunsmith or have a shop they give you a discounted price. Now get your AR set up and sign up for the Genny light 3 gun in Rochester. I'm shooting on Sun. with a crew from Factoryville. Your more than welcome to shoot with us. We even have an attorney to argue our procedurals for us and a Gunsmith incase anything breaks!

FWIW I have never been too impressed with any shotgun brakes or porting.I have shot ported and nonported guns side by side on poppers and my times were pretty much identical.YMMV

Maybe some of the others can give their thoughts on this.I think the best of the bunch is the JP brake (which I have on a 1187) and for the cost and work to install I wouldn't do it again.

Bill

Chriss,

Are you referring to my prized Glocks as kitchen storage containers? I was going to change and bring a 1911 to the midatlantic regionals but now I think I'm gonna have to bring the 21.  I agree with Bill, by the time I acquire the next target on a shotgun stage the muzzle is down and the sights are on.  Now if I could just lick my little reloading in a timely fashion problem.....

I agree w/ Bill about porting/comping a shotgun.  I don't feel any significant difference and my times are about the same.  The money would be better spent on ammo or a trigger job - of course if you shoot a Glock, you'll probably AD w/ a good trigger on your shotgun :-).  

Shotgun isn't ALL about reloading - maybe half!

If any of these matches are in Eastern PA then let me know.  Send me a message or email.

I live in Columbus, Oh.  I shoot in mostly south eastern Ohio.  If there is a match that is worth the drive I'll try to get to it.

The various brakes may not be much use on a shotgun (I haven't tried many) but Mag na Porting does make a difference.  Their basic pigeon porting is a good start, but I built a bunch of Rems, and went higher, as high as three sets of pigeon ports on a slug-only gun.  The best balance is two sets of ports.

However, if you run a short-barreled gun, (21") you may run into short-stroking, if you have all or enough of the following;

cold weather

light loads

tired-hull reloads

soft shoulder mount

If you have problems, you can drill the gas port out a larger size, or bump the ammo power up a bit.

• 1 month later...

Quote: from Flexmoney on 12:16 pm on July 9, 2001

My neighbor want to setup his 11-87 for 3-gun.

He has a deer (slug) barrel on it now.  What barrel and what length should he get?

What tube should he put on it?  I see them from Tac-star and Choate.  I don't think he wants the tube to stick out past the end of the barrel.

how much should these things cost?

I say for limited a 21" rem choke barrel with a vent rib would be ideal. A 9 round Choate tube will extend about 1" beyond the muzzle. A fiber optic front sight and EZ loader would round out the package nicely. All the parts are available from Brownell's.

I forgot to mention that the 1187 usually only functions well with min 1 1/8oz 3 1/4 dram loads and above with the barrel I mentioned (21" non-pressure comped turkey  barrel). To shoot reliably with tactical buckshot/slugs ( 1 oz 3 dram) the gas ports need to be drilled out. I ended up going from stock .072" ports to .080" on my gun. This is an easy job and makes the 1187 much better suited as an IPSC gun.

Also the Choate extended bolt handle and a flourescent magazine follower are nice additions.

Quote: from Chriss Grube on 11:11 am on July 11, 2001

Now get your AR set up and sign up for the Genny light 3 gun in Rochester. I'm shooting on Sun. with a crew from Factoryville. Your more than welcome to shoot with us. We even have an attorney to argue our procedurals for us and a Gunsmith incase anything breaks!

Chris,

I know who the gunsmith is, but which one of us is the attorney?