Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1 In A Million Chance

Bronco

This has to be one of the most obscure reasons for an AR to quit. At last months CMG team match my carbine started jamming on the coal creek stage, once in a while it would run a few shots then quit again. Well I finally got time to tear it down and see what the problem was. A blown primer in the gas key! Now there isn't a lot of clearance to fit a spent primer down the gas key, about the same as the primer tube on a Dillon reloader. Didn't take long to find but couldn't tell what the obstruction was till I got it out. Man was I surprised. Gun runs fine now.

A blown primer in the gas key!

Been there. I had bunch of bad brass with loose primerpockets and usually I found primers inside lower and magazines but one found it's way to gaskey. My gun (20" rifle) stopped totally, no bolt action at all. Couse I saw lots of primers at shootingtable, I was expecting that primer might be in gaskey. There it was, I got it out with 3mm drill.

Tommi

Mr. benli 2....

No chance of that....my ammo is loaded by the finest NASA, and Firearms technicians money can buy.

Cases are meticulously, scrutinized by "lasers" for primer pocket concentricity, case wall thickness, amount of pressure required to seat primer is determined to be 10-15 ftlbs. any case not meeting these requirements are sent to U.S.

all tools are calibrated by technicians just prior to use, so that they may be "dead balls accurate" (its an industry term). :P:P

I have NEVER had a malfunction, my guns ALWAYS run, they are the flattest shooting, softest recoiling, smoothest cycling, guns ever made!!!!! ;);)

And you can't have them..... ;)

REMEMBER

As Always....

Yuer Ronge

Wild Horse

Must be sabotage! Some pinko or some fureigner or some other so & so whose so jealous of the good old boys they could do any thing; even fiddle with some ones gun. But we'll flush'em out.

What the hell's next? The world out there is plum full of them terrorist, not one gauld dern thing is out of harm's way.

Watch your back partner.

Love and enlightenment

Mell

Edited by MKuhn

Isn't there a hydraulic method for clearing key obstructions? Set the bolt carrier in a bucket of water then smack the bolt with a mallet? Has anyone tried this? Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Careful not to split any atoms while doing that, you may end up with a reactor or something,

This isn't a throwout bearing and there are lots of other small holes that would relieve pressure, the drill worked for me when it happened

Mr. Canine Testacies

You cannot love me; nanbla is a bad bad thing.

However I am flattered, and I miss you also, I guess.

May the open mine be filled

Mell Kuhn

PS you are very clever, yet, I do so love piling on.

Edited by MKuhn

Ned Christiansen makes a 5.56 neck and throat reamer for ARs that have lots of trouble blowing primers. Usually this is from shooting 5.56mm ammo in a .223 or not quite 5.56mm chamber.

The neck and throat reamer doesn't change headspace at all and you can use it on chrome lined barrels (the reamer just won't last as long). I did my Bushy 20" fluted 1x9 barrel on my 3 gun rifle and it removed a little metal and the rifle still shoots under 1 MOA.

http://m-guns.com/tools.php about 1/2 down the page.

It's $200.00 not really a good price if you don't have a lot of ARs or work on a lot of them. I did all 8 of my ARs and the only one it didn't remove much at all from was a Colt bbl and an LMT bbl.

Edited by gotm4