Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is lighter better?

PaulW

I was really dissatisfied with the way my gun handled at the Florida Open.  I really felt like I was chasing the dot around in my open gun.  A week before the match I chrono'ed at 168 pf, too close to be safe in my opinion.  So I bumped my load up and was playing with different recoil springs and decided to go with an 8lb ISMI recoil spring.  Well I wasen't real happy with it but did not want to start changing everything before the match.  Yesterday I went and started playing with recoil springs.  I started with the 8lb and was shooting an IPSC target at 10yrds.  Well dang, I'd have an alpha and then a high hit, usually around the neck area.  It also felt very abrupt in my hands.  Ok, then I went to an 11lb ISMI recoil spring.  At 10 yards I would have an alpha and then a slightly lower alpha.  Hmmm I thought.  Went and got a 10 ISMI spring....guess what 2 alpha's everytime.  I went back to 20 yards, guess what, 2 alpha every time.  Now why is this???

Now here's something interesting.  TJ was shooting open and was using a recoil system he's been working with STI on.  Similar to the sprinco, but better he says.  He was using a 4lb recoil spring and then a heavier spring at the end.  The heavy spring would slow the slide down and strip the round off the magazine.  A 4lb recoil spring???   Dang, if we could only figure out a way to use pnuematics here, we have it made!!

It would be pretty simple.  Just a small strut designed like an aircrafts landing gear, an air gas mixture. As the inner cylinder moves into the outer cylinder, fluid is metered through an orfice plate attached to the outer cylinder.  The more fluid allowed to pass through the opening, the easier the inner cylinder retracts into the outer(GUN: slide moving rearward), or visa-versa the inner extending from the outer (GUN:slide moving fwd). The size of the opening in the plate is variable and is determined by a "metering valve" which is actually a "stem" attached to, and moving with the inner cylinder.  As the Stem moves through the orfice plate, the thickness of the stem changes from thick (low fluid flow) to thin (high fluid flow)

Now in the fully compressed position all that fluid and air is now pressurized forcing the inner cylinder back the way it came (GUN: slide starts foward). The pressure is greater in the first 25% of return travel (as well as the thin part of the stem allows for more flow in this position) and is gradually reduced as the strut extends to its fully extended position (stem is thicker allowing less fluid flow and slowing the slide down during the last 25% of travel)

It could work.  But damn,...imagine blowing a seal....yuck!