Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sear and hammer wear

Lex

Dear friends,

Just would like to know about your comment about the wear and tear of the sear/hammer during dry firing.  Does dryfiring a lot cause a premature were/tear in the sear,especially if you cock the hammer and squeeze the trigger.  Some say that it does, some say it does'nt. Which is which. I dry fire alot because I want to correct my flinching, and I travel a lot so my time at the range is very limited (150 a week), also my SDTI gun has only 1000 rounds through it. so how is this so.  my gun does'nt half cock anymore because of the wear in the middle portion of the sear..Is this dangerous?What are the advantages of having a halfcock,besides safety?

Also What is better..4 leaf sear spring or the 3 leaf sear spring?

Thanks and hope to hear from you experts in this field.

GodBless

Lex-DVC

Yes it causes wear. Just like picking the gun up a million times will cause teh grip to wear out. depending how light your trigger is you might need it redone every three or four years.

Now no half cock?? That is a problem. If you are letting it fall to half cock that will wear our your trigger FAST. Your gun needs worked on and might give you a nasty surprise, since it doesnt have a half cock. Did the factory/gunsmith send it that way?

I have dry fired at least 100,000 times before needing a trigger job. No I lost count it was 102,234 times.

3 leaf. I feel 4 leaf fixes a "problem" that was ok already. Kind of like 38 supercomp/TJ/9 x 23 brass.

kbear,

You are going to have to start riding the short bus.

Everybody knows that the SDTI gun is the Sount Dakota Tactical Incursion gun....the preferred weapon of the Haakon, Ziebach, and Dewey county Rapid Response Teams.

(Edit)  I forgot the smiley faces.      

(Edited by Flexmoney at 4:40 pm on April 12, 2002)

Everybody knows that the SDTI gun is the Sount Dakota Tactical Incursion gun....the preferred weapon of the Haakon, Ziebach, an Dewey county Rapid Response Teams.

Silly me.

Tell them to stop using Para Ordnance Land-O-Lakes hammers and sears and get decent ones from EGW or somewhere.

yeah, but get that half cock fixed. My story: Practicing alone a few y ago, my (cond 1) Para fell out of the holster (a Gilmore at the time; we called it Spill-more...), like in slow motion. I couldn't stop it, watched it turn in mid air, now pointing directly at my chest, then it fell on the hammer. When I picked it up, I noticed that the hammer had fallen to half cock! Had it not been there (the half cock) I would not be here today...

Oh yes, I *did* eventually get rid of the holster...

--Detlef