Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do All Schuemann Barrels Dislike Plated Bullets?

Cuz

I need to be able to shoot plated bullets out of my SVI 40 cal limited gun with AET barrel. I was thinking of having SVI build me a new top end without an AET barrel in the hopes it will shoot plated bullets accurately. Their website says all their barrels are Schuemann. Can anyone tell me if it's just the AET barrels that dislike plated bullets or is it all 40 cal Schuemann barrels? Based on info from Mr. Schuemann I would tend to believe it's all of his 40 caliber barrels.

Thanks,

-Cuz.

I need to be able to shoot plated bullets out of my SVI 40 cal limited gun with AET barrel. I was thinking of having SVI build me a new top end without an AET barrel in the hopes it will shoot plated bullets accurately. Their website says all their barrels are Schuemann. Can anyone tell me if it's just the AET barrels that dislike plated bullets or is it all 40 cal Schuemann barrels? Based on info from Mr. Schuemann I would tend to believe it's all of his 40 caliber barrels.

Thanks,

-Cuz.

I have a SV .45 single stack with an AET that shoots plated bullets very accurately. I have shot Raineer and West Coast Bullets with great success.

Dale

To work well in the AET, the plated projectiles will have to be .401 or larger to have a chance. If you go with one of Schuemann's "Ultimatch" conventionally rifled barrels, they shoot plated or lead bullets about as good as any other conventional barrel.

To work well in the AET, the plated projectiles will have to be .401 or larger to have a chance. If you go with one of Schuemann's "Ultimatch" conventionally rifled barrels, they shoot plated or lead bullets about as good as any other conventional barrel.

Thanks for the info. Mr. Schuemann says 40 cal plated bullets need to be .402 or .403 to work well in his AET barrels. I can't seem to find any of those...

-Cuz.

Schuemann isnt making SVI's barrels any longer. SV has all the machinery set up to make the barrels in house now. They are turning barrels out at a quick enough pace so the wait time is going to be significantly shortened on getting a factory SV.

My AET will shoot .402" plated bullets fine. The first batch I had at .399-.401" were tumbling big time.

Where did you find .402 plated bullets? I must be looking in all the wrong places...

-Cuz.

• 2 weeks later...

I entered on the other post as well but.....

I've had trouble with Berry's plated bullets in a new and well worn Schuemann not to mention and STI barrel that was made by ??????.

I don't believe it is the barrel. I have also shot several thousand CCI TMJs (plated) in all the guns without any problems...

I recently tried some "Frontier" plated TMJs from South Africa without a problem in a Schuemann barrel that had over 50,000 rounds through it.

Go figure.....

Mick

A27257