Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help Me With Isosceles

Soybomb

'm curious which is the proper isosceles stance. Do both arms extend out from your body at angles with elbows bent or do you bring your strong arm in line with with your body? If you bring your arm in are you supposed to "lock up" a bit more by perhaps rotating your inner elbow up?

Here's an example you'll see the fold of my pale right elbow is flat with the horizon.

isosc.jpg

Also if you're doing a thumbs forward grip just where are you supposed to put the weak thumb? Can it rest against the bottom of the trigger guard or should it float? I figured its best to check and see and be sure I'm not developing bad habits now.

Thanks!

best advice I can give you is to go to your local matches, find out who the local M class or GM class shooter is, and act like a sponge whenever you are around that person.

Where are you located, if you're in the DFW area, there are plenty of folks willing to help.

http://www.springerprecision.com/video.asp This might help

Your right hand is pushing out the left hand too much, the left needs to be higher and have full surface contact with the left side of the grip, the right just sits on top. The left hand needs to be higher also. It will feel weird at first.

+1 on that...and also about 65% grip pressure in the left hand/ 35% in the right.

I've got pretty big hands and I'm used to getting a good grip with my right hand, then pressing the left hand into whats left exposed of the grip especially at the top of the backstrap where the meat under the base of my thumb spills over. Is it really a better practice then to get a good press on the right side of the grip, press my left hand onto the left side, then bring my right thumb around the backstrap and over the left? Thats kinda what the reading and video is making me think.

When I get this grip my second knuckles wind up at about the same place and my fingertips of my left hand are on the knuckles of my right. The tip of my right thumb winds up falling half way between my left thumb knuckles.

The video was interesting I think I've been paying way more attention to the lockup of my right wrist and pretty much ignoring the left. Sounds like the book is on the to buy short list.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...