Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Gun Recoil Springs

Big Guy

Yesterday, I did tried different spring combinations. As indicated in earlier posts, I usually run an 8 lb recoil spring, which I “have been noticing” was jumping all over the place. Because of this, I opted to change it to a 10 lb variable power spring. After shooting it for 20-30 round I started noticing that the dot was more “stable” and did not jump as high, however I noticed some downwards trend. Following this, I change the recoil spring to a 9 lbs and shot 20-30 rounds. With the 9 lb spring, I noticed the gun reacted similar to the 8 lb spring, but not as “jumpy”.

As I was shooting the different recoil springs, I noticed that my hits with the 9 lbs spring were better, however by some weird reason, the 10 lbs spring provided better dot tracking during the shots.

Any suggestions on which one should I use???? :wacko::blink:

Edited by Big Guy

Mario,

I have an 8lb with a Sprinco in John's gun. It is sweet. I have been threatening to take it away from him and shoot it myself. Maybe Santa Clause will bring me an Open gun :D .

Jack

Yesterday, I did tried different spring combinations. As indicated in earlier posts, I usually run an 8 lb recoil spring, which I “have been noticing” was jumping all over the place. Because of this, I opted to change it to a 10 lb variable power spring. After shooting it for 20-30 round I started noticing that the dot was more “stable” and did not jump as high, however I noticed some downwards trend. Following this, I change the recoil spring to a 9 lbs and shot 20-30 rounds. With the 9 lb spring, I noticed the gun reacted similar to the 8 lb spring, but not as “jumpy”.

As I was shooting the different recoil springs, I noticed that my hits with the 9 lbs spring were better, however by some weird reason, the 10 lbs spring provided better dot tracking during the shots.

Go to the 10, and run some timing drills (go to mattburkett.com and look 'em up). That'll fix your tendency to pull the gun down (it looks like the gun is doing it on its own, but its really you trying to return the gun to point of aim after the shot). You want the option that results in the easiest tracking dot - because that's going to result in the quickest followup shot.

Based on the two of recent post and being fairly new to open, how popular is the use of commander length recoil springs in open guns?? <_<

It really depends on how the gun is set up. I would only use a commander spring in a gun that is built with a short slide. Some shorties use full length recoil systems and would only use a standard length spring in them.

Your best bet would be to go to the dealers forum and get some phone numbers and call a few of the smiths and get their oppinion.