Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ez Loader Directions

eringobragh

I'm looking to add an EZ Loader to my Rem 1100CM, and will likely send it off to Mr. Hill for the job, but was curious if anyone had a scan they could post of the actual installation procedure? A link would even be great of a step-by-step!

Are you convinced on the idea of the EZ Loader? The Remington CM has an elongated button on the loading gate which takes out the "necessity" for the EZ Loader. You will also have a 1/16" x 3/4" roll pin (which breaks, alot) as a single point of failure to ruin your day. You can do it yourself with the included directions but sending it to Benny is a great idea. Actually, getting a M2 built by Benny is an even better one!! :P

Unfortunately i threw mine away after I sold my Remmy or i'de scan it for you. PM the user "No.343". I bet he has his directions laying wround somewhere.

Mike

Edited by mike_pinto

I just had really bad luck with 'em. As far as not being competitive without one.. I think it may help in the beginning nailing the reloads, but over time it might just be in the way. If that roll pin bends or even breaks, it doesn't matter how fast you can reload and shoot. I am sure someone a whole lot more qualified to comment on this will chime in here soon and maybe give you a better idea if it helps that much on the CM. I know you HAVE to have it on the 1100 and the 11-87 with the standard gate.

Just my $.02 from someone who did it..

Mike

I heard they were a pain to tune right, but I didn't know that they broke pretty regularly...you'd think someone would come up with a fix for that. If it is going to be prone to breakage, then I just may stick with what came on the CM...I'll invest in some dummy/snap caps and practice till my fingers bleed!

Also I heard of guys using a 7 round spring in the mag tube instead of an 8 rounder to make loading easier...worth it or not?

I tried to install one from the instructions, I took it to my smith for a proper install after it fell out on the first round at the range.

I have an 11-87 so I can't speak to the 1100CM issue, but will say running any standard 1100/11-87 without one is a waste of time and thumb ;-)

I just installed one on a friends 1100 CM. The elongated button is a step forward from the little silver one. However, the EZ Loader advantage lies more in the trough shape, to guide the round down into the tube. When my friend first got the 1100, his son managed to fumble the load somehow, and didn't get the shell into the tube completely, it jammed under the carrier. Removal of the trigger group was the solution for unjamming the new gun. The pin did break on his old 1100, that's why he bought a new one, for a spare/ seperate gun for each of them.

Remember, anything mechanical is subject to breakage.

I also started to install the EZ Loader I purchased recently on my new 1100 Tactical, but did not feel totally comfortable with the very limited instructions that came with the EZ Loader. I have been looking around the web for better instructions also, but have had no luck. If anyone out there has any it would be very helpful. If not, I think I will take to a local gunsmith.

In looking at the EZ Loader part, it sure appears that it would make loading much easier and faster due to the grove in it, and fix the only complaint I have on my new 1100 Tactical (slow loading).

You can do it yourself with the included directions but sending it to Benny is a great idea.

I have been looking at one of these for my 33 year old 1100 that I shoot in 3 gun. Would you need to send the whole gun or just the trigger group to get one of these installed??

Guys, don't get me wrong. With the 1100 or the 11-87, you have to have the ez-loader. The problems I encountered, now I'm not even close to a gunsmith, but I am a little handy.

1. Like everyone stated, directions that come with it suck, but a little time looking at how everything works, you can figure it out pretty quick.

2. Like no.343 said, broke the first roll pin, but it comes with two.

3. Had to cut at least 1/4" off and round off the end of the loader. The standard size makes it a little too long and heavy, thus preventing bolt lock on empty.

4. Tuned it right, but the little tab that makes contact with the bolt to close it was too long and had to be shaved a tad.

5. Started getting real used to it and then in the middle of a match, bye bye roll pin.

6. Odered new roll pins from Brownells for about $.05 a piece and had to start at #1.

7. Was very careful putting it in to make sure it didn't bend. Got it in and tuned and worked fine.

8. Never shot another match with it. Sold the Remmy and ordered a Benelli from Benny.

9. Much happier 3-gunner is the result.

The thing that hurt a little is that I was always one of the guys that said you don't need to spend over $1000 on a shotgun to get reliability. Well as I found out in this game, the shotgun was NOT the problem, but the $39 mandatory add-on was. Dave makes fine products, just think they may not have had a choice on the little roll pin they are forced to design. I really think the reason it doesn't break on the stock lifter it that it is one 1/2" or shorter so it gives it plenty of strength. The extra length makes it pretty weak IMHO. I think a solid pin with creativity on the ends to hold it in may be the right answer. If I had a CM, I think I would have just loaded thousands of rounds to prevent me from having to install an EZ-loader.

As George said, it needs to be tuned to the gun, so send it all. I know Benny will do it, as well as JP, Shawn Carlock and others. All I can say is get it done right!! :D

Good luck and let us know..

Mike

I've had an EZ Loader on my 11-87 for over 10 years, and would not be without it on a Tactical Division shotgun - it is significantly smoother and faster to reload with than the original equipment standard or extended buttons IMHO. I have broken the 1/16" roll pin only once in the time I've had it. Yes, this failure did shut down the gun, but replacement was relatively simple. Just be sure to have on hand a spare roll pin AND a spare carrier release leaf spring (both of which can fly into oblivion when the roll pin fails).

Here are the install instructions - actually pretty easy if you are moderately skilled with hand tools. If you can install a 1911 thumb safety, then you can do this.

430757.PNG

Also I heard of guys using a 7 round spring in the mag tube instead of an 8 rounder to make loading easier...worth it or not?

IMHO, this is a bad idea. I go the other way, with an Extra Power Wolff mag spring. If there is insufficient spring force, you risk "shell surge" where the whole stack of shells jumps forwards in the mag under recoil, and a shell does not get released properly - the action locks open with an empty carrier and shells in the mag tube. You can lose a LOT of time with this kind of malfunction.

Edited by StealthyBlagga