Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

sprinco guide rod

grassy knoll

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have talked about shorter springs before, but right now I can't find the post to bring it back up.

Instead of trimming springs to work, I suggest trying commander length springs in varying weights. Most Limited guns seem to run in the 8 to 10 lb range, and Open guns seem to like around an 8.

When I was trimming springs to drastically shorter lengths they seemed to use up the life much faster. I don't know how that is possible but I had to replace springs much more often than I normally would.

The commander length springs have taken that worry out of the equation. I know, I have been told several times that mechanically a shorter and lighter spring will not cycle the gun faster, but if you shoot hammers on a target you can physically measure the differance, and the timer doesn't lie about the time.

Converting the shooting world, one shooter at a time! B)

• 9 months later...

Here's my two cents.

I ordered mine about one year ago directly from Alan over the phone, I would recommend anyone else to do the same as he can give the very important yet simple info. on how to set this up in your gun.

First of all it is extremely important that you get the guide rod that has the correct sub spring tension for your gun. In an open gun I can almost guarantee that if you have the medium or heavy sub spring, you will experience stove pipe jams. The reason for this is the sub spring actually speeds up the slide a little to fast. Also I have a friend with an STI built open gun who just recently installed an older one of these, when you pull the slide back and feel the sub spring tension his is much stronger than mine. And he has had some unexplained stove pipe jams when every thing else on the gun is setup right. I think the package was marked wrong. For the time being he took it out but says he is going to look into getting it replaced. This might explain some of the bad experiences in the past.

According to Alan the most favorable setup for an open gun is to use the light or open recoil reducer and an 8lb spring and cut 1 or 2 coils (or none if you prefer), I cut 2 and loved it. It only lasted for about four months before I started to get some failure to feeds, (wish I would have cut just 1). Ireplaced it with a wolf 8lb (because that was all that I had) and cut 2 coils noticing that it had 5 more coils than the sprinco. It worked fine but noticed it was a little heavy, I could probably cut more coils and be safe on the wolf.

I did experience some stove pipes at some local club Sunday matches, but every time I did I noticed that my exteactor tension had fell to about 10 or 12 ounces. After replacing my Aftec springs the tension went right back up to 18 ounces and stove pipes disappeared.

I also noticed that the head became loose after about a couple of months, but would only turn about 1/8 of a turn or less and never got any looser. I personally wouldn't have a problem if I had to reloctite the head every other month, I'm already doing that now to one of my scope mount screws.

I would definitely recommend this product. If you want to use different manufacturer springs for whatever reason, I see no reason why it shouldn't work, how ever you might have to experiment with weights and/if coils to cut.

THC

• 11 months later...

Looks like some of you are really happy with your Springco's. Here's my story:

I'm a relatively new shooter. Came across a used STI in great shape. Felt ok in the test drive, so I bought it. Over the next several weeks, I grew to hate it. Muzzle flip was unusually high, cycling inconsistent, recoil inconsistent, and I never had a single day where consecutive shots dropped the sight back into the notch in a consistent manner. I was almost convinced that I was the problem -- not the gun. Then I did some homework and found that funny looking guide rod was a Springco. I immediately ordered a standard guide rod and a batch of standard and variable springs in assorted weights. I dropped in the new guide rod with a 12.5# standard spring, and I have a completely different gun. I hated that gun -- now I love it, and I haven't even experimented with the other springs yet. One of my happiest shooting moments was dumping that Sprincgo in the old spare parts box :D

Glad it's working for some folks. For me, I couldn't possibly recommend it to anyone.

• 4 weeks later...
Looks like some of you are really happy with your Springco's. Here's my story:

I'm a relatively new shooter. Came across a used STI in great shape. Felt ok in the test drive, so I bought it. Over the next several weeks, I grew to hate it. Muzzle flip was unusually high, cycling inconsistent, recoil inconsistent, and I never had a single day where consecutive shots dropped the sight back into the notch in a consistent manner. I was almost convinced that I was the problem -- not the gun. Then I did some homework and found that funny looking guide rod was a Springco. I immediately ordered a standard guide rod and a batch of standard and variable springs in assorted weights. I dropped in the new guide rod with a 12.5# standard spring, and I have a completely different gun. I hated that gun -- now I love it, and I haven't even experimented with the other springs yet. One of my happiest shooting moments was dumping that Sprincgo in the old spare parts box :D

Glad it's working for some folks. For me, I couldn't possibly recommend it to anyone.

Hey LukeDuke, if you dislike the sprinco for your EDGE 40S&W and dont use more it please give me it!!! I'll appreciate much this..... :D:D:D