Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Powder For 185gr Precision Bullet (not Titegroup)

glockadict

I am looking for a major load for my G24 with a KKM barrel. I like precision bullets, but Titegroup is very smokey. I shoot at an indoor range, and the smoke just lingers. Nobody in the local area has Ramshot competition or Zip, and N320 is too expensive for practice. Are there any other powders, that are less smokey with precision bullets, that is like Titegroup?

Have you tried Tite Group? :P Ok, just kidding.....

Some people swear by UNIVERSAL Clays. Don't know the load data, but I bet a search on the forum might turn some up. Also, a 180 load lead load will get you close, adjust from there.

EDITE, thanks Merlin, yeah, Univ. Clays..... thanks for the catch.

Edited by sfinney

I'm using WST right now for my G24, but with lead bullets. I use 4.7 grains for 168gr bullets for major. Never tried precision.

What OAL are you using with this load?

5.0 grains was major with a jacketed bullet in my g24. that was with WST

What Bullet, and OAL are you using with this load?

Thanks for the help.

I've used W231 and Winchester primers for years and love it - no smoke at all. It's relatively clean (almost no powder residue) and doesn't lead the barrel of my P16.

I'm going off memory here, but I think my major load is 5.6 grains of W231.

Again - this is just from memory, consult the Winchester reloading manual for better data.

Good Shooting.

I'm using WST right now for my G24, but with lead bullets. I use 4.7 grains for 168gr bullets for major. Never tried precision.

What OAL are you using with this load?

5.0 grains was major with a jacketed bullet in my g24. that was with WST

What Bullet, and OAL are you using with this load?

Thanks for the help.

bullet was montana gold 180 JHP

OAL was 1.135

primer was federal 100.

velocity out of a six inch barrel was 1003 fps avg.

roughly 180 power factor...these loads were left over from when i shot a G22 as a limited gun and with the 4.5 inch barrel, it needed more powder.

WST does silly things when the temp goes up...i would look for another powder to use instead.

Ramshot ZIP has been really good for me so far. like 4.5 grains and precision delta 180 FMJ at 1.135 oal made major at 171 power factor...w/o all the silly temperature related problems.

For the 185 precisions, i used 4.1 grains and got 176 power factor. I was using federal 200 primers for the Ramshot zip loads.

Hope this helps

Harmon