Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I'm New To Reloading: Help!

I won't claim to be the brightest light on the Christmas tree for going with 10mm for USPSA, but I do intend to reload. I have a good friend that's been reloading for 30 years (though no experience with 10mm). I just bought the Dillon dies/parts to get started using his 550.

Would anybody be willing to share their receipes for a major power factor 10mm? I'll be shooting in Limited 10. This is for a Witness Elite Stock & Elite Match.

From what I've read elsewhere, looks like people prefer Federal (150 or 155) or CCI 350 primers.

I have a bunch of once-shot Winchester brass to start with, and some PMC and Remmington (nickel).

My friend primarily uses Winchester 231 (he's a revolver guy), though I'll use whatever powder makes the most sense.

So, I need input on loads & primers so I can go out and buy the primers and powder that I'll need to get started.

Any input greatly appreciated.

Making major with a 10mm is not much of a challenge. Most "factory" loads are overkill so you can reload well within the tables and achieve what you want with many different powders and bullet weights. I have used V V 340 simply because I have some around but you can likely find a load for any combination of components that you have laying around. As far as primer go, I have always used Win LP primers but anything will work since pressures are below factory loadings.

Good luck,

Leo

Agreed.

I was just looking for specifics. I can certainly come up with something myself that works, it just the time and efforts it takes to do so. I don't have a chrono at this point.

Was just hoping some would share so I could save the cost of coming up with something that works well myself.

My load is 5.5grs of N-340 over a 180 fmj with a Win primer. I load to 1.250 OAL. That is below the published starting load of 6.0grs and the max load of 6.9 for the same components.

If you have any of these powders generally available you can substitute them for the N-340 with the aforementioned components with good success. These are all published (or below) loads and nothing approaches max loads for the cartridge.

5.1 grs of Win 231

5.5 grs of Unique

6.3 grs AA#5

7.3 grs of HS6

Good luck,

Leo

I shoot 10mm in Limited and my rounds are light but still making about a 185 PF. i am using 5.5 gr Tite group and 180gr FMJ have used alot of different types with tthe same result. Titegroup is a Fast burning powder and makes for some snap but is still a lite load in 10mm standards. the only reason i haven't switched to a lighter load is because i am having failure to slide lock on last round sometimes and have not got a new spring and guide rod, which should cure this.

I am using Federal large pistol primers and mixed cases and getting very consistent loads, 20 fps SD, and accruate as heck in my stock Glock barrell.

Check out gunsafety.org for more information on the 3rd annual Courage Classic 3Gun/ MultiGun match.

Edited by CaseyJ

I like Clays. 180 Zero JHP at 1.235" with 4.6 grains of Clays and a Winchester Small Rifle pimer. Accurate, clean and soft.

DO make sure you have no chance of setback if loading Clays, same goes for Universal Clays. If I were you I would use the EGW Undersize die, the 40 die will work just fine.

I have never tried using rifle primers instead of Pistol primers what is the advantage of this? wouldn't you use a large rifle primer? or are small rifle and large pistol primers the same size? I know all the 10mm i have reloaded has large pistol primer.

Thanks

small pistol and rifle primers are the same size but large pistol and rifle primers are not. Large rifle primers have a slightly shorter cup so they seat in the primer pocket deeper.

Large pistol and rifle primers are NOT interchangable.

Neal in AZ

Edited by Intel6

During the primer shortage, a few years ago, I purchased a box of large rifle primers to see if they would work. The cups are significantly harder and ignition was less than reliable. The did not seem to fit all the way into the primer pocket but that could have simply been the hardness of the cup too. Not something that I will ever try again.

Sorry about the small primer bit, been loading long 40 at 10mm length too long. I use the exact same loads in long 40 and 10mm, I just adjust the crimp die and the powder die on a 550 to switch.

In 40 the small rifle primer cuts the SD by a lot, that is why I use it. My 10mm loads are all using Winchester large pistol primers