Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

It's OK to have an extended barrel in Limited, right?

TDean

I have a KKM threaded barrel I'd like to use in Limited division because it's more accurate than the stock Glock.  I wonder if this could be considered "weighted attachment" seeing how the barrel's threaded portion protrudes 3/4" past the slide.

Good-to-go?

(Edited by TDean at 8:58 am on Dec. 6, 2001)

That's 1 in the "NO" column......

This is the only rule that might govern this situation:

g. External modifications such as weights, or devices to control or reduce recoil are specifically not allowed.

..but this rule says that barrels are an "internal" modification:

h. Internal modifications to improve accuracy, reliability and function are allowed. e.g. spherical bushings, accu-rails, replacement barrels.

Come on, let's have a couple votes in the "YES" column!

The barrel is an internal part.  If you can put a heavy bull barrel in a limited gun, I don't see why a longer barrel wouldn't be allowed. My interpretation of the rules is it's OK for USPSA.

To be absolutely sure, you can run it by John Amidon.

Rich, doesn't this rule make it OK?

c. Any complete handgun or components produced by a factory and available to the general public for one year and 500 produced

Avalanche, US Limited Division is my focus.

(Edited by TDean at 10:31 am on Dec. 9, 2001)

They put the "components" part in there to allow people with Para frame kits to use them, once the complete Para guns were accepted.

I think that the Caspian hi-cap was not legal in limited, until Craig claimed that they had built 500 of them.

Package 500 Glocks with threaded barrels, put them up for sale.  File the paperwork with USPSA, and after a year you will be good to go.  

(Edited by Rich Bagoly at 7:44 pm on Dec. 9, 2001)

For USPSA Limited, you can specifically change the barrel. I cannot find a rule that states it cannot hang .75" past the end of the gun. There is no box like IPSC. So, overall length is not an issue. The 500 produced doesn't apply since he is not changing the frame, slide or caliber. If there was a problem with barrels of a non-factory configuration, all the Para's with bull barrels would be illegal. To my knowledge, Para has never had bull barrel P16 or P14, nor have they produced 500 of them.

Now, of course, this gun would not be USPSA Production legal. Nor would it be IDPA legal, but it should be Limited legal.  

Again, you should check with Amidon to be sure. (I know, he's difficult to deal with. I've never had real good luck getting answers from him either.)  :(

Quote:

Again, you should check with Amidon to be sure. (I know, he's difficult to deal with. I've never had real good luck getting answers from him either.)

I'm supprised to hear you say that. My experience with Mr. Amidon is very different.

Well John, then maybe you should ask Amidon.  ;)

It seems he's good about answering questions regarding scoring & etc. But, when it comes to equipment and gun modifications, his answers are often vague or non-existent. It might have something to do with the Craig incident. He may not want to answer equipment questions for fear it will come back to haunt him later.

Maby ShooterGrrl is the person to ask. I bet she knows him. I have recieved good answers on all of the questions. He usually answers me within a week. I have noticed SG seems to get faster replies......

My gut feeling on this is a big no........  My gut has been known to be wrong though (besides being to big. I video taped this weekends match and I don't like my profile  :) )

Well, I heard back from John A.

I wasn't expecting this.......or maybe I was.....

Your arguments to make it legal are all within the rules,however, extended barrels have not been allowed

in the past due to the portion that extends is an external part of the process, and therefore falls under g. an external weight and is not allowed.

DVC,

John

So barrels are considered an external mod now?

I guess I have to get the die-grinder out and flush-up all my guns barrels with their respective slides.  I think some of them extend a whole illegal 1/16" !

Rich, one more thing on the "500 factory produced  rule" Glock Inc. actually sells a 6" "hunting" barrel for the G20.

But, hell.....that rule isn't the one Mr. Amidon referenced anyway.  

I could get another barrel, but why if this one is legal.

Besides, I don't want to put too much more $$ into the project,...it's just a Glock ;)

I too was mystified by the rule he quoted rendering it illegal.  I suspect there's some history there pertaining to extended barrels judging by his response.

Anybody know what  "...in the past..." situation Mr. Amidon might be refering to?

The STI barrel in my second Limited gun is visibly longer than the STI barrel in my first Limited gun. Just because the gunsmith cut and crowned it differently, does it make it an extended barrel? (If I recrown a barrel, is that an illegal lightening modification?) What's the baseline barrel measurement for a given gun model, anyway? What happens when a given example of the LimiBlaster400 model has a barrel that measures 5.001" and another example measures 5.009"? Nobody can make a zero-tolerance part. How are barrels measured, hood to crown? Back of chamber to end of rifling? If a longer barrel is considered an external weight, why aren't the Limcat and KKM tungsten sleeves considered weights? They are partially external. Can I mill down my frame and add a tungsten frame sleeve to match the original outside dimensions*?

This is why I think the IPSC box should be adopted in US Limited and L10. An extended barrel is fine as long as your gun still fits in the box.

*Johnny, Sandy, et al: Don't even think of doing this without giving me a percentage and giving me prototypes to test! ;)

This is why I didn't want to ask John in the first place!

It's as if he interprets the rules, rather than examine the confines of the rules already in place.

Even though the rules clearly state that a barrel is an internal modification, he sees an extended barrel as an external weighted attachment?

I like what ShooterGirl said, I'll use it and arbitrate it if someone's feeling froggy.

Thanks for all the replies folks.

All we can do is read and adhere to the existing rules.

The rules state that a barrel IS an internal modification.

That should cover it.

There is NO rule which dictates the distance a barrel can protrude past the slide.  Without a "box" to measure our guns, the barrel could be as long as I want it to.

Saying that the barrel is an EXTERNAL modification is contradictory to the USPSA rules governing Limited division.