Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

They Don't Call It An Edge For Nothing

38superman

During a match when I am hurrying to clear a malfunction, the adrenaline is pumping and

I grab the slide to cycle it as fast as I can.

On my STI Edge, this seems to have about the same effect as running your hand across a chain saw blade.

My index finger ends up shredded.

This has happened at least three times now but this weekend at Targeting Education was by far the worst.

My gun which had been running perfectly, suddenly decided to quit cycling in the middle of a stage and had to be cycled by hand on each of the last 8 rounds.

When I went to unload and show clear, my weak hand and gun were covered in blood.

I don't know if it is the sharp corners on the sights or the sharp edges on the slide cuts that is doing it, but I would like some suggestions as to the best way to deal with it.

First option, have a smith mill away the serrations on the slide or at least round down the edges.

Second option, replace the slide and machine some less abrasive grip cuts.

Third option, have my smith round and smooth the edges on the sights.

I'm not convinced that it is the sights that are causing this.

They certainly have some sharp corners, but so do the sights on my SV and I don't have this problem with that gun.

(Perhaps because it never malfunctions?)

I guess I could wrap athletic tape on my fingers before the match.

Opinions?

Tls

Edited by tlshores

I've heard of similar situations and in those cases, in was not the rear sight blade that caused the problem but the left and right front, or muzzle facing, corner of the rear sight base itself. Might want to check there. That corner is pretty sharp sometimes. It's small but can cause lots of problems.

You don't want to *stop* having a sharp sight blade picture, but you should be able to break the edges on the sight, and on the serrations, sight cut, etc, and still have a crisp sight picture. No need to replace the slide or anything, or get rid of the serrations...

I had to relieve the lower edges of the slide on my Trojan because it was wearing a groove in my thumb - similar process.

If the pistol's blued, you can just put some cold blue on the areas you worked on until you have the pistol refinished (blued, chromed, whatever).

I used emery cloth on mine... small files work, too, etc...

I remember the first two or three hours (of many) I spent doing rework when I got my new Para 1640 was rounding in the razor sharp edges all over the slide. I swear you could probably shave with the lower edge along the length of the slide, and all around the ejection port it was sharp.

You may want to do some drills to see if you can find the offending area and go after it with a needle file. Not sure what else to do....

I personally think this is a giant steaming pile of B.S.

Manufacturers should have the decency to break down sharp edges as part of the manufacturing process.

We shouldn't have to pay a smith or spend hours filing on parts,... especially parts that are blued or otherwise finished.

Tls

Edited by tlshores

I had the same experience with an SV with a Bo-mar rear. The gun can definitely use a bit of softening. I broke the edges on the sight, hammer, and a couple of spots on the slide. I didn't need to do a radical de-horning, just enough to take the sharp edges off.

I know the serrations on my Edge's slide are darn near razor sharp. I ended up going to a Swenson thumbshield ambi safety to protect my thumb. Haven't had any problems while racking the slide.