Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Building A .40 Limited

1911vm

Okay I decided to build a .40 limited gun. I need some opinions on slide manufacturers, barrels, and the rest of it triggers, hammers and ETC. and for some reason now that I am looking for a good frame I cannot find one does any one have a secret place (the secret used double stack stash web site)lol. I looked on Dawson site. And they are about 450 is that a good price or should I continue the search. What should I expect to pay for a used one?

PS also their are two different frames one edge like and the other is eagle like any preferences?

question for you I am wondering why you don't call a smith? I am guessing because you can fit the slide tite and other things as well as machine the things you need to in order for them to work correctly? Just curious.

question for you I am wondering why you don't call a smith? I am guessing because you can fit the slide tite and other things as well as machine the things you need to in order for them to work correctly? Just curious.

I am. a friend of mine is going to help me do the work But as far as specific parts just looking for more opinions

I am. a friend of mine is going to help me do the work But as far as specific parts just looking for more opinions

If you're looking at STI only then the Edge or the Eagle is a good choice. Edge is a full dust cover and the Eagle isn't. Let's see....Aftec extractor, Ice magwell (depending on hand size), Tripp hardchrome, Dawson or Grams tuned mags, Swenson ambi safety, Bomar rear sight, Brazos Lightning Rod front sight (if you don't dot chase), and deactivate your grip safety. These are only my opinions. I'm sure others will have some great ideas.

Does any one know any thing about Caspian double stack frames they seem to be priced equally with STI are they any better or worse? And who’s mags do they use? And Brownells prices seem a bit high on the frame?

If you are going Caspian check their magazines out first.

Their slides are great.

I use:

SV: Fire controls

Brown: Safeties

Bomar: Sights

Aftec: Extracter

EGW: Ejector and firing pin stop

Schuemann or BarSto for Bull barrel because Nowlin does not make clark/para cuts any more otherwise Nowlin barrels.

Brazos: Front sight--get the narrow one

Sprinco: Guiderod

Tripp: Hard Chrome

Frames: STI is cheaper than SV, full length dust cover is shooting Limited.

Caspian's HiCap frames are pretty good quality & the one knock against them [only speaking of the frame] is a tendency for the slide-stop-pin hole to go egg-shaped after thousands of rounds are fired.

To build yourself a Limited gun, I think that the Caspian platform is a very risky investment right now because no one makes a good 40cal magazine for it. It's not a high priority for Caspian or any mag manufacturer and hasn't been in almost 2 years of Brady Law sunset.

It's a good Open platform as long as the red-dot sight isn't heavy. BUT - my humble opinion, only 3 gunsmiths ever got truly good at building Caspians, PM if you want their names.

The list of good STI/SV gunsmiths is MUCH longer and includes their factory guns too.

Here's some good news. Brownells is going to start carrying Caspian small parts and slides. The blue Bomar cut slide is about the same price as a STI. They will also carry the slides in stainless.