Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Planning A Big Match

dfwmiket

I'm interested in finding out what steps are involved for planning/setting up/coordinating a 'big' match. Prob a Level II match, I'd think..... I've got a crazy idea that I'd like to put one together that's been missing for a while, (some of you Texans may know what match needs to come back into existence!) but since I'm a total newbie to this sort of thing, I figured I'd ask beforehand if this was plain out crazy or if it was doable?

I'm thinking something like 7 or 8 stages, all one day......... prize table, etc.

That also brings up prizes...... how is that done? Call and beg? Ask for donations? Buy some with entry fee money?

I'm at least thinking 6 months out, if that helps. Any and all details VERY appreciated.

I love this sport!

Mike

Edited by cnemikeman

What, you mean Area 4?? :D :D sorry, just joking... anyway, a location and date seem to be some of the toughest planning things to get off the ground-- a lot of ranges are booked through 2015 or whenever. The next thing you need is a crew equally as crazy about the idea as you. Get a core team together and then start tapping everybody you know.

Prizes are usually some combination of product donations and discounted purchases. Somebody that's done it before is a huge help, otherwise you need a big rolodex and lots of long distance minutes.. A lot of sponsors won't want to chuck down cash at all, or even product on an unknown-- unknown match, unknown crew, unknown it it'll happen, unknown who will show up..

If you don't want to go through that hassle, think hard about doing a trophy-only match. Some of the big dogs won't show unless they can get a payday, but everybody else will like a lower match fee.

You don't have to start big.

First year do a match just a bit bigger than your regular club thing. Leave out the frills like prize tables, work out your logistics, and concentrate on making the competitors want to come back.

Build it a little bigger each year. Grow your knowledge, and infrastructure into what it takes to make your match what you want it to be.

I'm at least thinking 6 months out, if that helps.

Start laying the groundwork a year or more in advance, for a true major match. 6 months is short notice.

Edited by wide45

If you send me your off Forum email address, I have a major match planning & checklist that I use when I need to "train" a new match director :P

It is VERY detailed. I can send it to you either in Word or text format.

Contact me at LChico@msn.com

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Columbia SC

If you send me your off Forum email address, I have a major match planning & checklist that I use when I need to "train" a new match director :P

It is VERY detailed. I can send it to you either in Word or text format.

Contact me at LChico@msn.com

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Columbia SC

Okay -- after 12 requests (none yet from cnemikeman), let me update my previous post to say I will be happy to send the list to anyone who wants it.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Columbia SC

Edited by LChico

Mike,

If you can revive that match next year, I guarantee a whole boatload of people will show up, including me.

If Mike is to shy to say it, he want's to bring back the Texas Open. I think it's a wonderful idea. I told him in an e-mail that the last one was one of the best matches I ever shot, chiggers on my legs aside. :)

Liota

I would indeed like to bring it back, in some form or fashion. I am going to start looking into what it would take to make it a reality. I also happen to know someone who has put on a big match or two who can provide additional insight(hint,hint, Doubletap Championship.....paging scorch :) ) and maybe explore the possibilities.

Mike

• 5 months later...

cnemikeman

I'm fairly new myself, I've been doing and helping with matches for a couple of years. It gets easier the more you do.

My advice: (for what it's worth)

Add 2 stages to your normal club match size. Make these stages much more intense and fun than a club match. Break out some of the toys, such as swingers, poppers, plate racks, peek-a-boos, ect... And when you set it up for the match, bullet proof the stages. Make sure they will work 500 times over and over the same way for everyone. That will ensure very few reshoots. Reshoots piss people off and can possibly make them NOT come back next year. You could start with a plaque match and lunch for all of the competitors. Include these fees in their entry fee. For around $45, you could put on a match with plaques, lunch, water and cokes, and about $20 per shooter back to the club's savings account. Just make sure it's run on time and with correctness and not on the same weekend as Mothers Day or another match close by. We usually plan ours on our regular club match weekend. Don't skimp on lunch either. You could actually run all 8 stages and then break for lunch and everyone will relax and enjoy themselves while stats are being processed.

Diverse stages:

Some with lots of hard cover and no-shoots.

Some with high round count, up close and little hard cover.

Accuracy vs. Run-n-gun

Speed them up, then slow them down. That will casue people to think, which will make a good match.

As for a neat prize idea, advertise that you'll give HOA there match fee back and you will also raffle off a "returned match fee" to the ticket holder. Hand everyone a little movie ticket when they sign in and draw a winner at the awards ceremony.

When you advertise by Email, send out the stages so everyone can see them. I think that is entising to most people.

Anyway, you'll do fine.

Good Luck,

Ron J :)